Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Salem, OH

My feet will often cramp up and go into full spasms. I am wondering if anyone else experiences anything like this. This is quite painful, and will even cause my feet to temporarily misshapen.

March 18, 2015
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members overwhelmingly confirmed that foot spasms and cramps are a common and painful experience, often describing how their toes twist in... Read more

Members overwhelmingly confirmed that foot spasms and cramps are a common and painful experience, often describing how their toes twist in multiple directions and sometimes cause them to wake up at night. Several members shared practical strategies that have brought relief, including drinking tonic water for its quinine content, eating bananas or taking potassium supplements, increasing daily water intake to at least 2 liters, taking magnesium tablets, and using muscle relaxers or topical creams like Ben Gay or Salonpas. A recurring theme was the importance of staying hydrated, monitoring medication side effects (particularly from inhalers, diuretics, statins, and prednisone), and consulting with doctors to rule out underlying conditions like neuropathy or low electrolyte levels.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Your lungs are working very hard . So your body is using all the fluids to help them work . This is taking away from the rest of your body . I have to drink 10-12 bottles of water day . It works for me .

March 19, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

sadly all these inhalers are not without side effects....they can lower potassium, cause osteoprosis and cataracts so far im running 3 for 3 having eye surgery in a few weeks and my bone density is terrible Imake it a point to take the proper amounts of potassium because a few years ago I fainted from low potassium and broke 6 bones and spent a year in bed. I lost a huge amount for muscle mass and really have not gotten back to where i was before the accident.

March 18, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I too experience feet cramps. I've blamed it on the statin drug I take for my cholesterol. Eating a banana every day helps some, I'm sure any food high in potassium would help.

April 24, 2017 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I think that a combination of water, potassium, and magnesium have been the answer for me. I drink tonic water with lemon in it. Sounds terrible and at first it tastes terrible, but there is something addictive about the taste. I now look forward to it.

January 18, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I use to get them frequently. I am now taking 595 mg of Potassium Gluconate every day. My one trip to the hospital with COPD my potassium levels were low. They infused potassium and it is not a vey pleasant thing to have done. From then on I take the pill daily. You can also drink Tonic water, eat a banana, or yougert also has a good source of potassium in it.

March 19, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bowling Green, KY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Louisville, KY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In