Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fife, WA

why cant a stop smoking a have tried so many times and failed xx

June 19, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around someone struggling to quit smoking, sharing the overwhelming consensus that quitting is extraordinarily difficult but... Read more

Members rallied around someone struggling to quit smoking, sharing the overwhelming consensus that quitting is extraordinarily difficult but absolutely achievable with determination, the right tools, and self-compassion. Several members described successful strategies including Chantix, nicotine patches (sometimes two at once), Wellbutrin, e-cigarettes or vaping to taper off, Alan Carr's book 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking,' telephone support groups, cold turkey combined with mindset shifts, and substituting cigarettes with fruit, gum, or even cut straws to address the oral habit. A recurring theme was that success often required multiple attempts, a rock-bottom moment (such as hospitalization or a dire medical warning), genuine internal readiness rather than external pressure, and ongoing support from community, family, or faith to stay motivated through cravings and setbacks.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I feel the same. Just quit 6 days ago and had a bad episode. Had to call ambulance yesterday. Thought I was not going to make it. The ambulance driver gave me some good advice. He said he sees this all the time with COPD patience. They try quitting cold turkey and it sends the lungs into a panic mode. Lungs are so use to getting the smoke they do not understand what is happening. He said as did the doctor to wean yourself off cigarettes. He said it was like a heroin addict who just quits and goes into seizer's. Its a shot to the system. This made a lot of sense to me. So now that I feel much better I am going to do this.

August 3, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It takes a lot of will power to stop I smoked for 45yrs and tried several times without luck Then one visit to a specialist that told me I would be dead in 12 months if I didn't stop and threw the pack I had away and haven't looked back. I did use nicotine lozenges and learned a mind game from a friend that helped. Whenever I had the urge to smoke I put a lozenger in my mouth and at the same time I told myself that we (Being the smoker and the non smoker in me ) we dont do that anymore so get used to it you have had your turn smoker now it's non smokers turn. It's been six yrs now. Hope I have helped you.

August 24, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Terry, you are not encouraging Ina Mason Connelly. I would wish your comment were POSITIVE and helpful. It took me at least 4 tries over a period of years 'YES YEARS about 25 I would say" however, I did succeed 8 years ago and I do have a partner (my wife of 50 years) who smokes and I find myself to be lucky not craving or wanting to take it up again. What one needs to is SERIOUSLY WANTING too QUIT and it comes all on it's own. I did use CHANTIX for 6 weeks and not the 12 weeks recommended. Been tobacco product free since 30 September 2008 and I have saved over $35,000.00 Canadian , I have kept track in a spread sheet from day one. Presently in Calgary Alberta Canada a single package of 20 cigarettes sets for $15.41, a cartoon of 200 cigarettes cost $120.41 Canadian and the price keeps on going up. This is one incentive to quit, then there is the HEALTH REASON and it should be the MAJOR REASON. INA, you will quit when you are ready, in the meantime, it is important to start thinking QUITTING for your own HEALTH.

July 5, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good on you. I got my taste and sense of smell back when I stopped. An added bonus, I guess

November 8, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

This may or may not help but it was what I found out that helped me quit. After trying so long fighting the nicotine addiction I learned that that was not my addiction at all it was the sugars that each cigarette has in them that had me trapped. And yes believe me each cigarette has 10-20% sugar in them. Tobacco companies are the second largest purchaser of refined sugar in the world only second to processed food industries. I replaced the need for sugars with sweet fruits like pineapple, mango's, papaya, peaches any fruit that has a sweetness to it worked for me. I will also tell you some of my Dr's had never even heard of this before I let them know. here is a link you can start with if you like.
http://www.barnardmindsolution.com.au/wp-conten...

October 26, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Watseka, IL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Charlotte, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Edmonton, AB