Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kent, WA

I went to a baseball game last night for my grandson. I had felt good all day but after the game was sob. That lasted for an hour or so after I got home. I am fine today.....is it possible the dust in the air caused the sob? I know so little about copd

July 7, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Most definitely. Smog, smoke, car exhaust, scented candles, perfume, air fresheners, fumes are just a few things that affect your breathing if you have COPD, emphysema, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, chronic Interstitial premonition, etc. There are many sites on the internet that will help educate you about COPD. The more you learn about this disease the better able you are to cope.

July 7, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Certainly could be the culprit. Lots of others, though. too.

July 7, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

i believe that air polution makes my copd worse. if we travel 100 miles north of where we live it seems im using my o2 more. i usually stay indoors as much as possible when the air quality is bad and keep windows shut also.

July 10, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Janice,

Everyone is affected differently, but environmental pollution is a major lung irritant. It's even worse if you suffer from allergies. Before you head out of the house, check your local air quality index and pollen count to make sure the levels aren't too high for you to go outside.

If you have to go out, even when the air quality is bad or the pollen count is high, wear a mask to reduce your exposure to the lung irritants.

Another couple factors that could have played into your SOB are the summer heat and humidity. High heat and humidity levels can make it very difficult to get a full breath, so use caution going outside when you know it's really hot and humid.

July 7, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you. I wear a mask during flu and cold season. Don't know why I didn't think of it for pollution...oh well, learning...thanks again.

July 8, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glace Bay, NS

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭