Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Forest Park, IL

Has anyone had major difficulties when you are visiting someplace that has high altitude. I was in NM last week and had a major breathing problem with the high altitude as well as adema in my ankles. Had to go to the ER.

September 25, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks Ray. My future plan is to visit only places with low altitude. That way I will not have a problem.

November 15, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, hello, where I live the elevation is about 3300 feet, I don't have a lot of problems with that as its what I'm used to. My doctor has recommended when I go to Denver, make sure I have portable oxygen tanks, turn flow up to 3 or 4 when I'm up an about. This helps tremendously, still have to do everything slow but at least I can go places. Higher elevations, if we aren't used to it, can cause lots of breathing problems. Good luck.

October 11, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hey Robert, Hello from Alhambra Ca......yeah , I had the same issue with the high alt. 3 days in Santa Fe.....used rescue inhaler a lot, only helped so much....take it easy.!!!

September 27, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

know your problems were on the ground, but that should be your warning that you probably need O2 to fly as well. Check with your doc. here is a test the High Altitude Simulation Test, that your doc can order for you.

September 26, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Pretty typical of people with COPD. You probably needed supplementary O2 for altitude, even if you don't use it at home. If you fly, your experience should lead you to fly with O2. Remember that planes are only pressurized to 6000 to 8000 feet, so if you need O2 at altitude, you'll need it for flying as well.

September 25, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Camborne, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Colorado Springs, CO