Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hiram, OH
September 29, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I suffer the same panic attacks but I went on the internet and bought a gadgit called a deep abdomin breather when you feel panicky you just stick it in your mouth and you automatically take deep slow breaths and I now don't grab my ventolin inhaler so much have a good day everyone Dorothy hartlepool UK

October 2, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree completely that exacerbation is a worsening of symptoms. For me if I begin an exacerbation I very often have a panic attack. They have me on roxinol and adavan. If I begin to have anxiety I take an adavan the roxinol and take a breathing treatment to slow my breathing down. Often by taking those medications in that order I can avoid a hospital stay. In my case one leads to the other and it becomes a vicious circle.

September 30, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

An exacerbation is an increase in any of your symptoms of COPD, not just your breathing. so it could be mucous production, increased coughing, using more O2, more wheezing, decreased energy, etc. and not just your breathing, which is what's affected in a panic attack.

September 29, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A Panic Attack is not exclusive to having COPD..... But in our situation, it can start off as either....Not being able to Catch our Breath that leads to Anxiety or the reverse scenario........When we cannot calm or control our shortness of breath, Anxiety turns to Panic and We then get even more Breathless or we pass out...It is a cycle that repeats itself. Jean has explained what an Exacerbation is...

So not going to go down the ways to manage it as there are many methods including medication for both long term or instant fixes....

https://www.copdfoundation.org/COPD360social/Co...

September 29, 2016 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There is a difference between exasperation and exacerbation.

September 30, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hamburg, NY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, ON