Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Navarre, FL

Does anybody have any of these problems along with COPD? What do you do that helps you handle the symptoms?

February 10, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Shortness of breath or anxiety: lorazepam helps.
I can have it every 4 hours. 0.5 mL

September 26, 2023 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Sharona:
When I feel anxious, I meditate.I learned Transcendental Meditation (TM) 45 years ago. I practice my TM twice a day, religiously. It has been a lifesaver.
Fred

February 13, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree with Jean. Being confident in your control of your breathlessness , having a rescue technique is the way to deal with anxiety. Cognitive behavioural therapy is a great help. We are all "programmed" to panic when breathless, copd or not. So we have to learn to keep the adrenalin down and carry on with paced activity, and just breathe more. I personally like to breathe all the way out stop any panic breathing, it expels stale air and breaks the rhythm.
What doesn't feel normal is having to think about breathing all the time, but we can learn to, if we're willing to accept it as our new normal.
I'm not saying it's easy, simply that it's easier than panicking.
Rest easy, breathe easy ☺ 🍀

February 10, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

When I try to walk any distance my anxiety level goes way up

September 26, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes it comes with this chronic disease ,workout Doctore gave me anxiety medication when I can’t shake it I take one. It’s normal to have depression and anxiety especially if you were a very active person.

February 13, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Milford, NH

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Nicholasville, KY