Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Farmingdale, NY

I am 34 years old. I was recently diagnosed with emphysema. About 3 months ago, I was exposed to a vapor that had a chemical smell. I had went to the ER later that night with fear that I had been exposed to some kind of chemical agent, since I was experiencing shortness of breath and a feeling of my throat closing. The hospital checked my blood and my white blood cell count was 14,000. The ER doctor recommended that I go to see a pulmonologist as everything else seemed normal, but possibly a… read more

April 26, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Spirometry is the definitive test for COPD and is rarely given by the pulmonologist; they're not trained to give the test, just to read the results. Given what you reported as the results, the diagnosis at that point was correct. However, you were having major syjmptoms of the flu or some respiratory disease, and those definitely influence the results. It's not unusual that you showed significant improvement once you were over whatever bug you had. The six minute walk test is only to determine whether you need supplemental O2, and it sounds as though that was also done correctly, and you don't need O2.

I would encourage you to get that second opinion from another pulmonologist and to also see an allergist. It sounds like much of your difficulty may be allergies rather than COPD. And a good counselor never hurt anyone and may be able to help if some of your difficulties are due to anxiety.

April 27, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My primary did do a spitromity test on 1st visit

April 28, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I read somewhere of someone who had mid 30s and then being ill and in hospital at 16% but recovered back to the mid 30s when the illness cleared - so that person had a significant change just as you had. The 6 minute walk test is a world wide standard test for blood oxygen drop on exercise and requires one to walk 30 meters up and down as fast as they can - here are more details and you can compare to your experience https://www.physio-pedia.com/Six_Minute_Walk_Te... No idea on blood pressure, but I do agree with the previous poster that "spirometry is the definitive test for COPD" and my understanding of the walk test is that it is a measure of how to handle COPD treatment. If this is the case then it is as well to read and understand as much as possible because there is a lot the individual can do to stop things getting worse. Hope this helps

April 27, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you Jean. I am going on Monday for a second opinion.

April 27, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Have you heard of other people having an increase of 23% in the FEV1?

April 26, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ont Canada

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
San Jacinto, CA