Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
April 12, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences and questions about Zephyr endobronchial valves for severe COPD, with one member describing life-changing... Read more

Members shared their experiences and questions about Zephyr endobronchial valves for severe COPD, with one member describing life-changing results after having four valves placed in 2018, reporting dramatic improvements in mobility and quality of life after months of ineffective medications. Several members explained that the valves are placed using a minimally invasive bronchoscopic procedure requiring a short hospital stay, and while approved by the FDA in 2017 after years of successful use in Europe, qualifying for the procedure depends on specific criteria determined by a pulmonologist. A recurring theme was cautious optimism, with members expressing hope about this treatment option and planning to ask their doctors whether they might be candidates for the procedure.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

.. I had 4 of the zephyr valves put in in November 2018 at banner university hospital here in Phoenix, my world has done an abrupt turn a bout ! All good for me, no problems whatsoever . 3 days in hospital for observation, and no complications at all. Before I literally couldn't make it from my front door down by short driveway to the mailbox, now I can! I have been doing things that I havent been able to do for months and months. I know it's not a cure, but it's the best thing ever, I have been on so many different medications, they were doing absolutely nothing for me .. nothing! I got me a new pulmonologist after he was doing rounds at the hospital, and he had the best bedside manner I decided right there and ask him if hed be my dr and he said when you are released then come and see me. When I went to see him first thing he said was would you like to do something drastic and I said yes! 2 weeks later I was checking into the hospital for the procedure and 3 hours later I woke up in my room. I could go on and on but that's the best of it. It worked for me ! My life is far from perfect but its enjoyable now!

May 11, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It's considered to be non-invasive surgery because the valves are placed using a bronchoscopic tool, so there's no cutting. The procedure is done in a hospital and a hospital stay is required afterward because of the risk of collapsed lung. Apparently that's a fairly common occurrence after the valves are placed. With that exception, the procedure has been very successful and people have seen good results.

Vents, valves, coils, steam and glue have all been used for this purpose and clinical trials were held in the US starting in about 2001, so variations on the procedure have been around for a long time. The intent is to shut off areas of the lungs that aren't functioning and make room for less damaged areas to take over, without the actual surgery required by LVRS. The Zephyr valves were the first to be approved by the FDA for use in the US,

They have been used in Europe and other parts of the world for at least 10 years. We're benefiting from everything they learned during those 10 years.

April 13, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There is a group on facebook devoted to this. It's called Lung valves for friends.

April 13, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Bunny.....You said you "could go on and on" about valves experience ---Please do! Many of us are very curious about this new procedure and benefits.

May 13, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have read about this I'm going to ask my dr about it

April 16, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Phoenix, AZ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Dallas, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Buffalo, NY