I hear people saying there lungs are improving and they have gone off oxygen.I dont understand this. They tell you there is no getting better from COPD just slowing it down.Can someone explain this please?
You can't undo the damage already done, but there are things you can do to make the lung function you have much more efficient. Losing weight and exercise can make a huge difference in what you can do, how much you can do and how comfortable you are doing it. In 2003 I went on a very aggressive diet and exercise program. I was very heavy, on O2 24/7 and was generally a mess. I lost over 100 pounds and among other things, I did get off the O2 completely for about 10 years. So improvement is definitely possible. I would say that much of my improvement was due to the weight loss, but the exercise meant that I was probably in better shape at 60 than I had been at 30. Maintaining the exercise is very important and can make a huge difference.
Once you have the lung function as efficient as possible, you can't go any further, because this is still a progressive disease. What you can do is make it stable. When I was diagnosed in 2000, my FEV1 was in the mid 30s. When I started the exercise program I talked about in the previous paragraph, my FEV1 had deteriorated to 16%. I got it back in the mid 30s by losing weight and exercising daily; it's still in the mid 30s. That's thanks to the exercise. So exercise can do a lot for your lungs. You really have to work at it, but it's worth it.
@BeverleMartin you can help your lungs with life style changes no smoking copd rehab doing exercise you have learned from rehab make sure maintain a good weight for your body good nutrition walking and other exercises getting proper sleep hydrated most of all take meds as prescribed by pulmonary doc keep all appointments with pulmonary doc or primary get proper rest don't over extend your self chores are always their I would like to think a cure is on the horizon but not now. Making life changes can make.us stronger to.deal with COPD symptoms I believe in pray and faith in our Lord he always their there are so many folks that help with great.information on this site you are never alone stay safe God bless you breathe easy ZAZOOPITS
I have COPD and since I’ve lost weight and then doing more exercising my lungs are a little better I don’t have to use my puffers as much or as often as I had to my breathing is getting easier end it depends on the weather because sometimes the weather takes a toll on my breathing especially if it’s really cold or really hot I have a hard time up there other than that I’m slowly getting better
If the person has had a sedentary life, the whole cardiovascular system may be weak. Now diagnosed with copd, some may be exercising for the first time since youth. Add that to better diet and stopping smoking, results can surprise.
The fitter muscles are the more efficiently they use oxygen, by definition, so if people get fitter through exercise they may no longer need ambulatory oxygen. However if the diagnosis is correct, the copd will still impact on lifespan, be it at a later date.
Uncongested lungs feel better than congested.
That sounds simplistic, but for lungs that have been kippered for 40 years congestion is ''normal'' and getting free of it can feel miraculous. And of course feeling better releases endorphins and lessens anxiety.
All add up to a positive improvement for many.
😊🍀
My understanding also is slowing it down. That's what I'm understanding anyway by reading articles and people on here.