Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Edisto Island, SC

I recently read about predisone being used to treat COPD. Anyone using it? And if so, what kind of dosing?

October 19, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I was on high doses for over a year. When I'm on it I am diabetic. I had weight gain. I now have osteoporosis due to prednisone. Also had cataracts. It kept me breathing but with a price.

October 29, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Prednisone is often used to treat COPD exacerbations, using doses up to 60 or 80 mgs, depending on the severity, more if given through an IV. If large doses are used, it's usually given on a step down basis, weaning off because of the impact on the adrenal glands. More recently, there's been a lot of evidence that giving a standard dosage for five to seven days and then stopping works, especially if the dosage is 40 mgs or less. In some cases, prednisone is given daily instead of for a time frame and then stopping. Usually this is done in smaller doses: 5 tp 20 mgs on a daily basis for long periods of time.

One of the things docs are always aware of are the long term side effects of prednisone which can be difficult to deal with: osteoporosis, moon face, fatty deposits, increased appetite and weight gain. Short term doses often involve hyper-activity, increased appetite and weight gain, short temper and/or hair-trigger temper (I have that, so I'm not fun to be around!). These things are the reasons those of us who have had the pleasure to take the med call it the med we love to hate. It does make breathing a lot easier, but your family and relationships take it in the ear. It's not a med to take lightly.

October 19, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'm on 10 mg every other day. Must not come in 5mg. I think it's just to keep it in my system now. Only side effect that I am aware of is an increase in appetite. Not so bad now. Been using it steady for about a yr. Gp questioned it but Pomo ordered it.

October 19, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I take 2 a day no problems

October 23, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There really isn't one. A lot of it depends on how bad the exacerbation is and your doc's past experience with dosages.

October 20, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Essex uk

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Rolla, MO