Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Williamsport, PA

I called them and was told to drink more water and put myself on Mucinex, not a great deal of change, called again, no call back, I've been coughing since, no new appointments until January, what now?

December 3, 2022
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around someone struggling with unresolved pneumonia, offering practical advice on what to do when antibiotics and basic care... Read more

Members rallied around someone struggling with unresolved pneumonia, offering practical advice on what to do when antibiotics and basic care weren't enough. Several members recommended visiting urgent care or the ER, especially if symptoms like fever, green or yellow mucus, or worsening breathing appeared, and many emphasized drinking plenty of fluids to help thin mucus. A recurring theme was that pneumonia recovery takes time, and members shared helpful options like Marshmallow Root, Mullein Leaf, chicken broth, walking, and staying persistent with doctors to get proper testing and stronger treatment.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Never heard of a recent problem with teens and cough syrup until your post, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I thought that issue went away in the 90’s so I appreciate your timely reminder.

Hope anyone reading this post is having a good weekend. Hugs.

Sunday, 04-DEC-22

December 4, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I’m not an expert on supplements, but I swear by Marshmallow Root and Mullein dietary supplements to help break up mucus and keep my lungs clearer than they might otherwise be. You should be able to get these in your vitamin section of your local grocery store or pharmacy, or order them online.

When the weather allows, I also do a great deal of walking. 7,027 steps so far today, or 2.88 miles walked. That’s decent on a sunny day (my goal is 5k to 10k steps a day - whatever is the highest my energy level will tolerate).

I can’t tolerate mucinex or guafinaesin (how ever you spell those two). I push a lot of chicken bone broth / chicken noodle soup broth as well as water to help with hydration.

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, pneumonia is tricky. I will often relapse when trying to recover because the congestion is so very tricky and you get bored sitting around hoping to feel more yourself A.S.A.P.

Please push the fluids, take an expectorant-based decongest and do your best to rest. It’s boring, but it’s the only reliable pattern to follow that works for me.

Saturday, 03-DEC-22

December 3, 2022 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It take a long time to get over pneumonia, and the cough will hang around for a long time after the antibiotic has done its work. Despite Rolland's distrust of mucinex, it is a standard recommendation by pulmonologists. You can try it and if it works for you, fine, if not, then you can try some of the tried and true cough medicines: honey and whiskey is my favorite. That cough could hang around for a long time. If your mucus is yellow or green or you run a temp, I'd go back to urgent care or the ER.

December 3, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree with Roland, urgent care and a Cray should show if you still have infection. There are some herbs that help you expectorate mucus: Marshmallow Root, Plantain, Mullein Leaf. I usually make tea, by You can also get extracts and combination herbal lung support. This is no immediate cure, but it might help in the long run.
Be well

December 3, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for that information, I'll be sure to pass this along when I see the people at disease control..

January 16, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Oaklyn, NJ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Statesville, NC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In