Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

I have never ever gotten one but I've just been diagnosed with emphysema this year. So now I'm rethinking it

November 9, 2025
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members overwhelmingly encouraged getting the flu shot after an emphysema diagnosis, with many sharing that their doctors strongly recommend... Read more

Members overwhelmingly encouraged getting the flu shot after an emphysema diagnosis, with many sharing that their doctors strongly recommend annual flu vaccines for people with compromised lungs since even a simple cold or flu can quickly escalate to pneumonia or an emergency room visit. Several members described getting multiple vaccines including flu, pneumonia, RSV, shingles, and COVID shots, with many reporting they either haven't gotten the flu since starting vaccinations or experienced much milder symptoms when they did. A recurring theme was respecting personal choice while emphasizing the importance of discussing vaccination decisions with your healthcare team, as the risks of severe illness are significantly higher for people living with respiratory conditions like COPD and emphysema.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have had only 1 Flu shot in my 82 years of life and no Covid shots. I have had the Flu around 6 times in my life, and I get over it. I also have stage 4 COPD and I'm doing ok with it. I thank God for every day He gives me.

I don't want any shots!

November 12, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I was diagnosed with COPD in 2014 but always got my vaccines years before that. They helped me to have less bouts of the flu ever since and will never stop getting the flu shot and COVID shots as long as necessary.

November 11, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi! Personally, I would highly recommend getting the flu shot. I get the flu shot every year and somehow still got the flu and developed pneumonia that got me hospitalized the past two flu seasons. Had I not I would have been in much worse shape. You may still develop the flu but it certainly will lessen the severity!

November 10, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I normally have gotten a flu shot and haven't had any difficulties with it. Also haven't gotten the flu.

November 12, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I get a flu shot every year and also the Covid shot as my lung doctor advises me too so I think it's a good idea. I know some people do and some don't but everyone has to make a decision for themselves and I don't believe that it should be forced on you or that you should lose your job if you don't get it. I felt bad for the people in Whitehorse that lost their jobs for not getting the shot, that is just wrong. I hope everyone is happy and healthy and is gung ho for another winter. Take care

November 12, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
ashboro nc