Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

My heart. Does anyone else have this diagnosis all this found out n 4 wks

March 13
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes, I have all three of those too. On blood pressure medicine. But not heart.

March 14
MyCOPDTeam

Is it common to be diagnosed with COPD along with heart-related conditions like high blood pressure and abnormal EKG results?

Yes, it's actually quite common to receive multiple diagnoses related to COPD and heart conditions around the same time. Many MyCOPDTeam members share similar experiences of discovering these Show Full Answer

Is it common to be diagnosed with COPD along with heart-related conditions like high blood pressure and abnormal EKG results?

Yes, it's actually quite common to receive multiple diagnoses related to COPD and heart conditions around the same time. Many MyCOPDTeam members share similar experiences of discovering these interconnected health issues.

COPD and heart disease share several risk factors, including smoking and exposure to environmental pollutants. When you have COPD, your heart has to work harder to pump oxygen throughout your body because of reduced lung function. This extra strain can lead to heart-related problems over time.

Heart disease is unfortunately much more common in people with COPD than in the general population. Studies show that heart failure affects about 18.8% of people with COPD, compared to only 1.6% of those without COPD.

A MyCOPDTeam member shared: "I was 39 when I was told I had COPD, asthma, and ischemic heart disease. I'm now 57 and at stage 4. It's not easy coping with it, but I have to carry on."

Another member asked: "I also have heart disease which could add to my breathing problems. Is there anyone else with the same problem?"

The good news is that many lifestyle changes that help manage COPD also benefit your heart health:

* Quitting smoking (if applicable)
* Eating a heart-healthy diet low in sodium
* Staying as physically active as safely possible
* Attending all doctor appointments

It's important to keep your healthcare team informed about all your conditions so they can coordinate your care effectively.

March 13

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Capitola, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hamilton, MS

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
ashboro nc