Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bonifay, FL
March 13
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Last year 2024, I contracted RSV with already having COPD, it hit me hard. I was hospitalized on New Year's Eve Day for 6 days, tried to return to work but was denied by employer. Luckily I had a policy that I payed extra for STD and LTD (short and long term disability) and getting LTD till Jan 2027. I got lucky there. I would check with your insurance provider. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

March 15
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It depends on how COPD affects your ability to work. Your doctor can help and advise you. Keep in mind the environmental conditions both air and stress can have adverse effects on our condition.
I actually changed my job activities a few times before I had to quit. Between the air quality and my energy level. I loved working hoped I could work till I dropped.

March 14
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes. But depends on the state and their guidelines as to how bad you need to be before you get on it. Check with your SS office or website to see. Having doctors records and test results help speed up the process.
When I filed was approved in less than a month with a letter telling me I could have filed 2 years pryer because of my condition. I am in Missouri. Good luck. If denied appeal.

March 15
A MyCOPDTeam Member

When I was working o was a shift manager mostly the only manager on shift and seems like the longer I was there the worst I felt.before end of shift my lower back and my legs feel hurt so bad. My legs just felt like they were gonna give out on me. A few times I got really dizzy to the point I felt like I was gonna fall out. Me the only manager that was scary no time to sit down and regroup during Hardees breakfast shifts

March 14
MyCOPDTeam

Can you qualify for disability benefits with COPD?

While the search results don't specifically address disability benefits for COPD, it's worth noting that COPD can significantly impact your ability to work and perform daily activities, especially in advanced stages.

People with severe COPD may experience
- Difficulty Show Full Answer

Can you qualify for disability benefits with COPD?

While the search results don't specifically address disability benefits for COPD, it's worth noting that COPD can significantly impact your ability to work and perform daily activities, especially in advanced stages.

People with severe COPD may experience:
- Difficulty breathing and chronic fatigue
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Need for supplemental oxygen
- Reduced ability to walk and exercise

If COPD is affecting your ability to work, you may want to:
- Talk to your healthcare provider about your functional limitations
- Document how COPD impacts your daily activities and work capacity
- Contact the Social Security Administration or a disability advocate to learn about eligibility requirements
- Consider reaching out to your doctor's office or hospital billing department for guidance on available resources

The severity of your symptoms and how they limit your ability to perform work-related activities are typically key factors in disability determinations.

March 13

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sewell, NJ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Jackson, TN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ohio City, CO