Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

Who else uses oxygen tanks?
When do you use them?
Do you use any pulse regulators with them?

The reason I asked these questions is that I hardly ever hear anyone talk about them.
I love using them in the house instead of running a oxygen concentrator all day.

I have 3 sources of oxygen that I use.

At night I use a regular oxygen concentrator.
After breakfast and a shower I switch over to a E-tank.
When I go out to eat, church, or Dr. visit, etc, I use an Inogen G5.

March 14
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members on supplemental oxygen 24/7 shared their setups and strategies for managing oxygen needs throughout the day, with many using a... Read more

Members on supplemental oxygen 24/7 shared their setups and strategies for managing oxygen needs throughout the day, with many using a combination of home concentrators, portable units like the Inogen G5, and backup tanks with pulse regulators such as the Easy Pulse 5+6 to balance mobility, battery life, and oxygen delivery. Several members described practical lessons learned through trial and error, including adjusting flow settings based on activity level, understanding that constant-flow oxygen wastes about 75% of output between breaths, experimenting with supplements and medications to reduce mucus production, and managing anxiety when saturation levels drop below 95. A recurring theme was the frustration over insufficient education from healthcare providers at the time of diagnosis, the value of community-shared knowledge in filling those gaps, and the empowerment that comes from understanding equipment settings and oxygen delivery to live more comfortably and confidently with severe COPD.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have 2 in home oxygen concentrators (1) Inogen Home which I bought and use at night, and also on trips because it's only 18 lbs. and I can put it in a carry-on.
Then I have (1) DeVilbiss from insurance and it's in the closet as a backup if I need it.
I love the Inogen Home concentrator because it's Quiet and only uses about 100 watts on a setting of 2 lpm.

I'm also stage 4 severe COPD Emphysema. And don't have a problem with the Inogen G5. I was just out for 5 hours with it and when I came home, I had over an hour left on the battery. When I'm sitting, I can get by with a setting of 1 which is 210 ml, which is a constant flow Equivalent of a 630 ml. O2 is 96-97.

I'm really interested in learning and into details as to different settings on equipment, and O2 readings with various oxygen supplies, and activities. I also do different experiments with oxygen equipment that I have, and supplements besides medications. My Dr. is very happy with my lung condition considering the COPD Emphysema.

I'm 82 years old and been stage 4 severe COPD Emphysema for almost 5 1/2 years and I'm doing great. First 2 years were miserable, had to sleep in a recliner, always coughing up mucus, taking a shower was a chore, etc. Now I sleep in bed, take a shower every day, and also pretty free of the constant mucus problem. Learning how to live on oxygen 24/7 without stress or anxiety took a little work thinking things out and using what I've learned to make things a lot easier. Learned some big lessons that others seem not to have considered.

March 15
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A setting of 1 is just a number like on the Inogen G5. The Easy Pulse 5+6 has 5 pulse settings, and 6 constant flow settings. I love the Inogen Home concentrator too, it's very quiet and only uses 110 watts set at 2 LPM, it saves a lot on electric bills.
I have 3 extended batteries for the Inogen G5, when I'm walking I usually have it set on 5, then after I sit down like at church or a restaurant I drop it down to 3,2, or 1

See chart that shows Easy Pulse 5+6 settings using a E-tank.
Also, one link to the Easy Pulse 5+6
https://tinyl.co/4QtR

Easy Pulse 5 + 6 Oxygen Conserver Regulator 198712 by Precision Medical
Easy Pulse 5 + 6 Oxygen Conserver Regulator 198712 by Precision Medical
March 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Here's a picture of my E-tank with the Easy Pulse 5+6 regulator set on pulse 1 with 100% O2 reading. This was on one of my best days.

I need more oxygen if I do anything more strenuous than sitting.

March 17 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks @A MyCOPDTeam Member and you are right about not knowing enough about it which in my case came down to not getting any information from Kaiser about it. I had my test and was told to use 02 at 2-2 1/2L at night to sleep and for "actvities". When I told the RT I didn't know anything about using oxygen she said they would explain all of it when the delivered it. Seemed odd, and Apria brought the Invacare concentrator and showed me how to plug it in, attach the tubing, turn it on and adjust the setting.
That was it, I never got any other information or education about my condition and learned almost everything on this site I was so lucky to find!
I also bought the Inogen at Home unit hoping to take it with me on adventures which has't happened yet, but I'm still hopeful I'll get up to OR to see my friends there this year.
Having lung function testing last year put me at stage 4 at 26% and I use 3L, but my saturation is never stable or consistent.

I'll see if I can contact one of our community managers about starting a group.
03-17-2026.

March 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I think it would be nice to have a group who are on oxygen 24/7. What I noticed about people on supplemental oxygen is that they really don't know much about it, and are misinformed about settings on various devices. Also it seems that they are not interested even learning anything that might be technical.

As far as your battery coming out of the Inogen G5 you could put a small amount of duct tape on it. I did drop mine last year but I haven't have any problems with it.

March 16

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Halifax, NS