Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Hi everyone I hope you all have a great weekend. I went for a breathing test in Jan. I found out the results shortly after. I smoked right up until I found and after. It wasn’t until 3 weeks ago when I got sick that I realized how bad this is. I thought I was better I went back to work and couldn’t get air in. I think I was anxious on top of everything so that made it so much worse. The inhalers, antibiotics and prednisone are definitely helping. I am wearing a nicotine patch and this is the… read more

March 27
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello JoniStrand, Welcome to the group. There are so many stories it is best you just go to our profile page and read our stories instead of asking us to rewrite them all again. I know you're new to the group and that the "MyVCOPDTeam" group has not explain that you can read our stories and share your story on your profile page.

If you click on our picture or name you will go to that persons profile page and story, You can also see why treatment and diagnosis we have.

Truth is since it is a chronic issue, we were warned years before we were diagnosed.

March 28
MyCOPDTeam

At what stage did you find out you had COPD, and what made you go to the doctor?

First, congratulations on your longest stretch without smoking! That's a huge accomplishment, especially while managing everything else.

Many people discover their COPD at different stages and for various reasons. The most common symptoms Show Full Answer

At what stage did you find out you had COPD, and what made you go to the doctor?

First, congratulations on your longest stretch without smoking! That's a huge accomplishment, especially while managing everything else.

Many people discover their COPD at different stages and for various reasons. The most common symptoms that bring people to the doctor include:

* Shortness of breath (87% of people had this at diagnosis)
* Constant coughing
* Wheezing
* Struggling to catch breath when walking up stairs
* Low energy
* Respiratory infections
* Excess mucus or phlegm

The path to diagnosis varies widely. About 43% of people get diagnosed after just one doctor visit, while 34% need two or three appointments, and 23% need four or more visits before getting their diagnosis. A MyCOPDTeam member shared: "Just diagnosed, but knew it was just a matter of time. 50-year smoker, RN, so I knew I could not escape."

Another member said: "I got diagnosed by a consultant from a private health consultancy, so he just diagnosed, then signed me off, and I was pretty much left with no aftercare."

One member described: "Sound very much like me. O2 24/7 and have been for a few years. However, just diagnosed in September."

Your experience of not realizing the severity until you got sick and tried returning to work is actually quite common. The anxiety you felt likely did make breathing harder—it's a real challenge when physical symptoms and worry feed into each other.

Keep up with those inhalers and medications, and stay strong with the nicotine patch. You're taking important steps to manage your health.

March 27

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Banning, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clacton on sea essex United Kingdom

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Mills, WI

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In