Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Edmonton, AB
April 8
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I stopped smoking 16 years ago I went straight cold turkey I woke up one morning 16 years ago and said to myself I'm going to stop smoking and this was way before I got diagnosed with copd when I stopped smoking I wasn't interested in nicotine ever again even while other people smoked my craving went away the day I quit and it was God and my determination

April 15
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Quitting smoking is very difficult. I'm sure we all wish we had much sooner. Nicotine gum and patches never worked for me but I tried the pouches and I'm coming up on 4 years without smoking. I'm still using the pouches but at least there's no smoke and chemicals I'm breathing in.
I wish you the best in trying to quit

April 8
MyCOPDTeam

How can you successfully quit smoking with COPD?

Quitting smoking is one of the most important steps you can take to slow COPD progression and improve your quality of life. While it's challenging, many people with COPD have successfully quit using various approaches.

Common methods that have worked for others include:

- Show Full Answer

How can you successfully quit smoking with COPD?

Quitting smoking is one of the most important steps you can take to slow COPD progression and improve your quality of life. While it's challenging, many people with COPD have successfully quit using various approaches.

Common methods that have worked for others include:

- Prescription medications like Chantix or Zyban
- Nicotine replacement therapy (patches, gum, lozenges)
- Gradual reduction (cutting down slowly before quitting completely)
- Cold turkey (though this can be very difficult)
- Alternative therapies like acupuncture or hypnosis
- Calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW for professional support

Managing cravings and triggers:

Identify what makes you want to smoke - coffee, stress, finishing meals, socializing, or certain places. These triggers create automatic associations with cigarettes.

Keep your hands busy with crafts, stress balls, or hard candy. Take walks when urges strike. Use apps like Smoke Free to track progress and stay accountable.

Don't give up if you relapse:

Many people quit multiple times before succeeding permanently. Start each day saying "I'm not going to smoke TODAY" rather than putting pressure on forever. The first 2-4 weeks are toughest, but it gets easier.

Consider pulmonary rehab, which provides structured support, education, and connects you with others facing similar challenges.

April 8

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Watseka, IL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Charlotte, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Edmonton, AB