Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Collierville, TN

I was told 3 years ago that I badly need a stress test on the treadmill. I declined, and was okay anyhow. Now I'm being told by someone else in the clinic that I don't need the stress test because they don't see anything wrong with my heart. And in light of my moderate COPD, I think this could be an unnecessary risk. I feel like I'm being coerced anyway, and wonder if any of you have ever faced this. Not asking what I should do, just if you've ever felt pressured to do this. Thanks in advance.

April 9
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded to a question about feeling pressured to have a cardiac stress test, with many sharing their own personal experiences that... Read more

Members responded to a question about feeling pressured to have a cardiac stress test, with many sharing their own personal experiences that ultimately revealed serious heart blockages requiring stents. Several members noted that treadmill tests are often replaced with medication-induced stress tests, especially for those with COPD, and many encouraged getting a second opinion if feeling coerced. A recurring theme was trusting your gut, advocating for yourself with doctors, and knowing that the decision is ultimately yours to make.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, thanks for your response. I've decided to have it done. Many people agree with you that they would have it if necessary. It's going to be on April 21, so I'll let you know if they find anything important. Hope you have a peaceful, breathe easy night.

April 12
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I've just about decided to have it done. I also take b/p meds. Thanks for your input, Randee.❤️

April 12
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks to everyone for your input in this discussion. Some of the things you've shared coincide with what I've read in my research, and other things are real eye poppers.
My bottom line question was have you ever felt pressured to have this test done when a real need was not indicated. It seems like most of your responses were No, you never felt pushed to it.
I admit I do have trust issues with the medical profession right now, and when just one person in the clinic says she would not particularly recommend it, my ears perk up. And I have a good old gut instinct, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. The answer will come.
Have a great day, everyone. ❤️

April 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, Every doctor I have been seeing for years has retired in the last 2 years. Heart, dentist, optometrist, Internist, neurologist. They get old and want (need) to retire just like us. Only problem is the new ones all work for a hospital corporation and don't take the time to get to know their patients. It's all about revenue now days.

April 29
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I will be praying for you Jael2 for sure. You got this!

April 12

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
St Louis, MO

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Worcester, MA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In