Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bowling Green, KY

Does anyone else have pain and spasms in the muscles of your rib cage? If so what helps these r so painful.

November 26, 2014
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members opened up about experiencing painful muscle spasms and cramps in their rib cages, which often feel like ribs crossing over or a... Read more

Members opened up about experiencing painful muscle spasms and cramps in their rib cages, which often feel like ribs crossing over or a vice-like grip and can be triggered by twisting, bending, coughing, or even simple movements. Several members shared remedies that have provided relief, including quinine tablets or tonic water, magnesium and potassium supplements, heat or cold packs, muscle relaxers, stretching exercises, pickle juice or mustard, massage therapy focusing on intercostal muscles, and staying well-hydrated throughout the day. A recurring theme was the frustration that doctors often dismiss or cannot explain these spasms, with many members suspecting they are side effects from COPD medications like Symbicort, Advair, or Spiriva, or related to the disease itself through trapped air, overworked breathing muscles, or conditions like costochondritis.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

These crams are not like normal muscle cramps. By certain movements it seems like my ribs are "crossing over" (difficult to explain in English!) It last like a minute or so and then it slowly slacks. But it hurts so much you can hardly breath.

December 12, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I also get them and they can be VERY painful. Glad to know I am not alone. I had no idea they were connected to my COPD

December 17, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Someone told me it was my lungs that were so hard thats why it hurt when i bent down .

December 12, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I do....in fact I asked this question this morning. I take a chewable baby aspirin and drink some water slowly and it goes away....however I have to stay still for a while and not move.....it is a scary situation because it hurts so bad....at first I thought I was having a heart attack. It' s like a Charlie horse in my right lung at the bottom of it. So like to know I am not the only one that gets this.....not that I wish the pain on anyone".............thank you

December 21, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have these! What I do to make them stop is inhale as big a breath as I can and hold it as long as I can. It starts to ease off. I thought I was alone in this, a relief to know its not in my head :)

February 9, 2015

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In