Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
January 22, 2015
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree with BillGotobed I had also applied as having anxiety and it only took 4 months and no turn downs. I suggest you have the Dr put him on an anti-anxiety or anti- depression drugs and claim that as well.

January 28, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

you know looking back at all the conversations i had with ssi they seemed to focus more on the fact that the dr had me on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds more so than the copd. and like i said i got it first try on my own with out even seeing their doctors.

January 27, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My daughter applied for disability, it took about 3 years, lawyers, and I understand if they deny you the 1st time you must apply again, they will deny a 2nd time, you must apply again, they will deny a 3rd time, that's about the a lawyer steps in or you seek one to assist you, they don't charge until the case is settled. After that you will be given a court date, a judge will decide to approve or disapprove your case. This all sounds very depressing, however it's worth a try and if you have the time go for it. My daughters case just got settled now. One good thing is they will pay you retroactively when approved and you will have a huge lump sum.

January 23, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I got disablity for depression i had to go to court to win mine after i was turned down the second time but it took me two years that was back in 1993 don't know how the thing works now its not much money in Arkansas but it pays the bills

January 28, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It doesn't always take that long. I quit working mid April and applied May 5th of 2013. I received a letter from SSA in September of same year I had been approved and received my first check in October. It only took me 4 months without a lawyer. I know Mine was quick, and I have talked to people it took 10 years even with a lawyer. I suggest you try it through a lawyer the first time. Just make sure they have experience in SSA disability claims.

January 26, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Milwaukee, WI