Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Angie, LA

A lady had posted on here that she had exasbarated and had to go to Hosp. Just wanted to know what that means. What happens?

August 6, 2015
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi there, it means that her condition has suddenly deteriorated and is needing urgent treatment. It is spelt exacerbated in the UKbut in the US probably spelt different.

August 6, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Generally means a severe attack of struggling to breath and medication not seeming to work. You also feel anxious.

August 11, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

An exacerbation is basically cold type symptoms that because of the weakness the lungs have due to disease goes directly to them. I have been having several a year for past 8 years or so. If we catch it quickly enough a week of antibiotic and prednisone will usually knock it out but I have been hospitalized several times when I delayed informing the doctor and getting the medication. Those times can be quite frightening as I swear I'm drowning or being smothered...not able to catch a breath. Levaquin is the antibiotic that appears to work best on me now though for years it was a Zpak.

@WebMD.com has an excellent description of exacerbation in COPD.

August 9, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

An exacerbation is a worsening of your COPD symptoms that requires medical intervention: antibiotics, prednisone, a visit to the doc, a hospitalization. Your spelling's right, Ann. So her symptoms got worse and got so much worse that she had to be hospitalized. You don't want that. That's why you try to catch things

August 6, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It SOUNDS SO INNOCUOUS BUT IT IS DEADLY FRIGHTENING. DON'T FEEL YOU CAN CONTROL ANYTHING AND GET REALLY ANXIOUS AND SCARED. I always want to stay at home. Do not want treatments in a hospital. Phoohee I will not retype because I hit cap lock in error. I got enough to worry about

December 30, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Flat, AK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭