@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I had the same problem and thought I was the only one until I found this forum. All of the suggestions so far are valid, but if that's not working for you, I'll add that anxiety was a big part of what was happening to me. It's not the kind you bring on yourself by consciously worrying about something. I certainly didn't believe I was going to drown (as one whippersnapper counselor tried to tell me) and I knew full well I could push aside the shower curtain. Eventually I learned that anxiety is an automatic response that seems to tag along with COPD, and to say it is annoying is an understatement. If can be terrifying! I had medication for a while but gradually learned some mental exercises to keep myself calm. I still move too fast sometimes and end up gasping like a beached whale on my bed for a while. It's a process.
Yes i get very out of breayh in the shower i cope by taking my ventolin inhaler before going inder and i keep my water just warm becsuse my nurse yold me its the steam that does it.
Leave wjndow open, don,t ha e shower too hot, don,t stay in there too long, make sure someone else in the house with you. Also don,t get dressed straight away, even if you lie on the bed for 15mins, then get dressed..
Get a shower chair and use your O2 in the shower. It won't hurt anything. Just drape the hose over the top of the shower curtain or door.
Beyond that, talk with your doc and begin an exercise program. Shoot for at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise without stopping. Start very slow, don't try to walk fast, just really slow and go as long as you can. Once you can do 30 minutes at a snail's pace, pick up the pace slowly or increase the time or distance. That will help you build your endurance and you'll find that showering won't be as difficult.
I have a shower chair, shower head/ w hose. I hated having to shower because of sob. I finally learned to turn up my oxygen. I am on 2 liters so I put it on 3 or maybe even 4 until I get done. It really helps. I am also stage 4.