Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Does anyone know the effect of alcohol along with copd? My husband no longer smokes, but drinks 8-10, 12 ounce beers every night.

September 14, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Just googled COPD & beer. Alcohol reduces glutathione, an anti-oxidant. Only red wine has glutathione! The carbonation in beer and soda gives you more to exhale, one of our weak areas. Just noticed that alcohol impairs the ability to get the mucus out of our lungs. Time for me to reduce drinking, or at least switch to more red wine.

August 19, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Uh, oh. The bubbles in beer and soda can be bad on us COPD'ers too. That's why I'll take OTC gas pills after a bunch of beer. If I'm trying to be careful, I'll drink red wine because it's not bubbly and has glutathione, an anti-oxidant. I'm going to quit adding beer salt to my beer since I've had high blood pressure lately.

September 15, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have googled alcohol and COPD, they say that tests have shown that alcohol does effect breathing with people liviing with COPD, but haven't found out why yet. Hope this helps.

September 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Alcohol is a depressant, and can influence his breathing. I would talk with is doc about is drinking aget his opinion.

September 15, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Beer helps me more than the meds at times , for me not the strong beers but a few of the light beers, about 1 beer an hour drinking too fast don't work for me . My o2 goes from 90 to 96 . Without the o2 on . I use Old Milwaukee light or Coors light , both weaker beers for good results . If I were to have 1 ounce of champagne , i;d end up in the hospital ,,. go figure , no wedding toasts for me . good luck

September 17, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New York, NY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Charlotte, NC