Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
January 13
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members connected deeply over the puzzling question of why some heavy smokers never develop COPD while others who quit decades ago continue to... Read more

Members connected deeply over the puzzling question of why some heavy smokers never develop COPD while others who quit decades ago continue to worsen, with the community exploring factors including genetics, environmental exposures, chronic infections, occupational hazards, air quality, and immune system differences. Several members shared personal stories revealing that family history of asthma, allergies, and lung disease often played a significant role, while others pointed to mold exposure, cleaning chemicals, air pollution, Agent Orange, and humid climates as potential triggers that compounded their risk. A recurring theme was the frustration of not understanding why only 17-18% of smokers develop COPD, the unfairness of hitting that unlucky percentage, and the importance of supporting one another through the mystery with gratitude for what health remains and practical strategies like diaphragmatic breathing to manage symptoms.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Those are very interesting stats, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, I wonder why it's higher in rural areas. Maybe because some of it comes from farming chemicals?

January 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Wonderful news, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I totally believe in belly (Is that diaphragmatic?) breathing. I read that this is how babies breathe. It comes natural to them.
Being at Stage 3 at 88 years is fanTAStic in my opinion. You must be doing a lot of things right.
Have a good restful night. You've earned it!

January 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I've wondered the same thing @Jael. There aren't very many copd patients where I live. I've NEVER seen another soul with oxygen with the exception of one lady about a year ago and of course at Respiratory Rehab and even there, not a whole lot. My sister lives in an oil producing part of CA (as I did at one time) and there are lots of people there with copd using oxygen. One answer is that the air quality is really poor there all the time and another may be that there are lots of men from Texas and Oklahoma (where COPD is high) working on the rigs that are heavy smokers. My hubby was in an office and even there there were quite a lot of smokers. Strange!! My pulmonologist has asked me to never go down to visit my sis because of the AQI there. She said that I would probably end up in the hospital. We lived in So America for 5 yrs (Oil Company) and the pollution in both those countries was unbelievable. So it appears that the atmosphere can be a detriment.
Coal was the main source of heat and of course the vehicles spewed out like you can't believe. We burned coal everyday in the fireplace. Doc said that I may have some residual damage to my lungs from that, plus my smoking of course. I have an appt with my Pulmo in about an hour, so have to get ready. Have a great day!!

.

January 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well I have to guess that some have looked this up so here goes -
COPD prevalence varies, but generally affects around 3.8% to 6.4% of U.S. adults, increasing significantly with age (over 10% for those 75+) and higher in rural areas, with millions impacted globally, making it a leading cause of death and hospitalization. Key risk factors include smoking (over 70% of cases in high-income nations), occupational exposures, and air pollution, with disparities seen across demographics.  So it's not a high percentage which makes me ask why me.

January 19
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A friend of mine had COPD and never smoked.

January 17

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Swindon, UK