Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Arcadia, FL

Has anyone noticed that they seem to breathe easier after a couple of cups of coffee? Seems like maybe the caffeine is doing some good here. Curious if others have noticed this

August 1, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A few years ago my doctor told me that strong coffee could help when having an asthma attack if you didn't have any meds with you. Apparently the caffeine in coffee is very similar to the asthma/COPD drug theopholine which used to be very popular in the past.

Both the warmth and moisture vapor along with the caffeine can really help in an emergency.

I wake up very short of breath every morning and so I personally start my day with coffee and it seems to work for me until my morning meds start working. I also drink a cup of coffee when I get really short of breath
In the late afternoon and it's too soon to use my inhalers.

Check with your doc, and if he doesn't object, give it a try. It really helps me without getting an overdose of my meds.

Good luck and stay healthy.

August 3, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My doctor told me a cup of coffee a day is good for a copd patience

August 2, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My hubby has been drinking beer lately. He quit drinking many years ago but it seems to help calm him so I'm not going to tell him he shouldn't.

August 12, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It does work, actually I couldn't breathing after a chemical stress test. The nurse ran immediately and grabbed black coffee. whalah..I truly believe coffee does help. They said it was what they used for anyone who as laboring to breathe

August 30, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I do drink coffee and it does help my breathing in the late afternoon.

August 19, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Brunswick, Canada

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fayetteville, AR