Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Dallas, TX

Hi, I'm very confused and my doctor too. Spirometer shows those first 2 about 98% but 3 (combine) is 54% . ??? I've got ct scan as well- clean. I'm short of breath with any activity. I was very sick- all kinds of pulmonary infections for a year- finally quit smoking in February. Anybody can explain? Thank you

August 26, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It sounds like you are one of those folks who have symptoms, but whose test results are normal. Without more information about those test results, no one can really comment on them; we need more information. If you're short of breath with any activity, what does your oximeter show for your O2 saturation level? You may need supplementary O2. Are you seeing a pulmonologist or a family doc? You really need to see a good pulmonologist for a review of all the test results and a good diagnostic workup, including a walking test to see if you need supplementary O2. If you're already seeing a pulmo, I'd suggest a second opinion.

People who have symptoms but whose test results are normal or near normal are the topic of a lot of discussion in the COPD world right now. There were sessions at the American Thoracic Society's annual meeting in May and at COPD10 in July. At this point, the top clinicians are leaning toward a diagnosis and meds based on symptoms rather than test results.

August 26, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have the same problem. Whenever I try to do anything, my heart beats fast and I am out of breath.....yet my tests come out good......even almost normal.....Cat Scan shows I have emphysema and lower lobe fibrosis. It also says stuff about ground glass opacities, blebs etc. Oxygen level goes up an down and is usually 96 when I go to the doctors. Don't know why.......any answers

September 14, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You need to give your lungs a chance to heal as much as they can from smoking, that doesn't happen over night. Take it slow and do what you can do, the rest can wait.

August 29, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Jean, I agree with you. I use oxygen to sleep with. Goes into my cpap

August 29, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Las Vegas, NV