My dr told my husband who has COPD to start to look into hospice what do I do now?
I was a hospice nurse for 7 years.
Call agencies and have them come talk to you. Interview them. There are good ans not so good fits.
You want an agency that supports your loved one and the family.
They will provide some equipment, comfort medications, take over oxggen. They can provide a 'post', so anyone knows what your preferences for care are.
They set up a plan for visits with your input. They can make visits any hour of the day or night. They can be with you at the end, and you have bereavement support for 12 months after your loss.
It's so different than when my dad passed in '74. Hospice was not yet available.
Hospice makes a passing peaceful, as opposed to having to call 911, and having all emergency services, sherriff and coroner arrive at an expected death.
You have a right to choose. Call your doc and ask if they have names of agencies. You could call your hospital and ask if they have a list. Don't settle for one. You deserve the best.
Hospice is generally recommended when the important thing is to keep the patient comfortable and the disease has progressed to the point where death is within six months or so. You probably should investigate both hospice and palliative care. They are different and offer different approaches. You can decide whether either is something you want to try or if you don't want either. You can't make a decision unless you learn what's available and how the two approaches differ from each other.
Yes I am coping. We did everything together. I'm just lost. I went to a restaurant last week a single older man was at a table next to me he looked over and said eating alone sucks don't it. ? He had a Marine Corp hat and colorful collared shirt like my husband always wore. He asked if he could sit with me what the hell got into me I said yes. He lost his wife 4 months ago was married 53 yrs I think we can heered each other in p and enjoyed dinner. When I got in my car I felt a little guilty ????
The love of my life has been gone now for 3 years and it still feels like it was yesterday. I still grieve but I try not to let it consume me. My children and our memories keep me going.
No one has the right to put a time period on it. The truth is love is so much deeper for some.
Like you I didn't want pills to cover it up. I needed to deal with it in my own way....
I used hospice for my late husband at home to they were helpful. When it got so bad and my 6'5" husband was falling a lot they said he needed to go in hospice house. I residted at first but than he asked to go. I don't know what I exdpected but the next 5 days were awful watching him struggle and dying. My three kids and self never left his side. I found it heart wrenching. No one should have to suffer like that. The fourth night I held his hand he never was convious once he arrived there. I told him we had a wonderful 50 years and lrtying him go is hardest thing I ever had to do. But that he can go home now and be with Jesus. I lied and told him I'd be ok. At 3am I awoke hearing his last breath.