Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Olmsted, OH

If you experience high carbon dioxide levels, also known as ABG or arterial blood gas, what is your treatment? Has anyone had to be intubated?

June 9, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

What you describe as a breathing exercise is called a "huff" cough, designed to bring mucous up. I don't think it's useful in dealing with CO2, but I certainly could be wrong. What DOES help with CO2 is Pursed Lip Breathing, especially if done all the time you're exerting yourself, such as exercising or going up stairs. It's very simple:. you inhale through your nose or mouth, doesn't matter which, and then purse your lips as if you were gong to blow hot soup in a spoon, and breathe out gently (you don't want to blow the soup out of the spoon) for at least twice as long as you inhaled. Many people do it on a count: 1,2 and exhale 1,2,3,4. You can do 3 to 6 or 4 to 8; whatever. The only point is to exhale for twice as long as you inhale. That helps. My suggestion is to practice until it's second nature and you do it all the time.

I think it's possible that your CO2 levels might decrease with time, though I wouldn't count on it happening. Use your bi-pap or Trilogy regularly as prescribed. The advantage of the Trilogy is that it can be used during the day while you do other things.

June 9, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That was my experience but I had to have a trilogy mask. I too have high co2 levels which is to get rid of them faster. Its scary to me. God bless everyone and breath easy

June 12, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

If you present at a hospital with high CO2 levels, and most of us do when we're really sick, the typical treatment is to try PLB, the bi-pap or Trilogy and last ditch is intubation. People have to be intubated all the time. It's done routinely for most surgeries requiring standard anesthesia. FYI, the ABG is the test for CO2, it's not the condition. If they can't get your CO2 levels down to close to normal and get them stable, then usually a bi-pap or Trilogy is prescribed for home use.

June 9, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I wear my trilogy mask all night while I sleep

June 29, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I do not remember from the top of my head, but they were very high. Respiratory Therapy told me that I was lucky that I was not unconscious at the time, and they basically told me that if I did not use the Bi-Pap that I would never improve.

June 11, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Klamath Falls, OR