Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Newport south wales
December 21, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Welsh I have had Copd stage 4 for 11 years. I have been going to Pulmonary Rehab for 11 years and it has really helped me a lot It keeps me going. 6 months ago my Pulmonary Dr told me I was at my end stage of Copd. I live one day at a time and I will never give up. That's why I still go to Rehab to exercise and I will keep going as long as I can. You have to stay active, have a positive attitude do breathing exercises. I am doing really good.

If I'm up doing something and I start having trouble breathing I sit down until my oxygen goes back up and then I get back up and do some more but it takes me a long time to do anything. I think Pulmonary Rehab would be great for you they would teach you a lot of things to help you. That's why I keep going to Rehab because it helps me and keeps me going. If I did not go to Rehab these 11 years I would not be here today.

December 21, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There's no difference between stage 4, final state or end stage. All it means is that you are using every type of intervention there is and there's nothing more to try. That's not really true in that there are a number of different inhalers in each class, so there's always something new to try and it might work better for you than the last one did. But there are no really new meds for you at that point. I know many people who've been at stage 4 for over 20 years.

The biggest thing that can help you is exercise. Getting stronger and increasing your endurance is extremely important, and the better shape you can get in the better you'll feel and the more you're be able to do and be a lot more comfortable doing it. Talk with your doc about Pulmonary Rehab, and if you can go to a class, do. It'll get you started on what should be a life time of exercise. If PR's not possible, join a gym and exercise with the rest of the world. You can talk with your doc about what would be appropriate and how to get started. You can also come back here and ask questions about how to get started.

December 21, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi @A MyCOPDTeam Member. The only advice that can be given is try and exercise as much as you can. I was diagnosed with COPD about 4years ago. Carried on working til my body told me to pack it in. Finally retired 2016. Not bad for someone who's 66. Glad no more early morning's for me. Nor throwing bundles of newspapers around. Was called Captain Slow. All the best to you and your family. Don't be afraid to vent your anger here. Breath well folks. I'm off to the shops to get my fags. Hahahahhaa.

December 24, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Wendy walking with a cane or walker is exercise. The more you walk the stronger you will get. You need to keep moving as much as possible. You can even do exercises in a chair. Just type in exercising in a chair. I wish you a lot of luck and I hope that you will start to feel better. God Bless You

December 22, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

This is the best site that could ever be for all of us with Copd I to have learned so much here I only been her about a month I have some wonderful people here that I call my friends they know so much about COPD my dr never has explained it to me like the ones here has. Happy breathing keep on keeping on

January 5, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Banning, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Mills, WI

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In