Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
suz.asquith@gmail.com

Hello,
I have moderate emphysema - 60% lung function - long-term smoker (ex for 23 years). I am 71. I have tried many puffers but the side effects far outweigh any advantages. After about two weeks of use, I develop sinus problems and am just so tired and fatigued that I can't be bothered doing much. Even Ventolin as a rescue help has no effect. There must be others who have the same problems, and I would love to hear from them. I am in Australia and the recent humidity has been dreadful.

December 21, 2018 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded to a question about managing too many side effects from COPD inhalers, with many sharing their own struggles finding... Read more

Members responded to a question about managing too many side effects from COPD inhalers, with many sharing their own struggles finding treatments that work without causing new problems. Several members offered helpful suggestions, including speaking with a pulmonologist, exploring different inhaler classes like long-acting beta agonists as alternatives to LAMAs, and visiting the COPE Foundation website to better understand medication options. A recurring theme was the challenge of balancing side effects against the need to breathe, with members encouraging each other to keep advocating with their doctors and accept a new normal while staying hopeful.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Bretaris Genuair is a European version of Spiriva; it's in the class of medication called a long acting muscarinic agent, or LAMA, which includes Spiriva and a number of other meds. Meds in this class sometimes will have side effects that can affect urine production and eyesight. If you're having these or other troublesome side effects, I would suggest that you talk with your doc and see what other meds could be prescribed. You don't have to take a LAMA, there are many meds in other classes, like the long acting beta agonist (LABA) that might work just as well or better for you.

It sounds like you need to see a pulmonologist or respiratory specialist who is really skilled and knowledgeable in the various meds available. I'd also suggest that you go to www.copefoundation.org and go to the learn more tab and read about medications. You'll be far more able to speak with your doc knowledgeably and that may help you in what you need.

December 22, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

im on duoresp spiromax and Elklira genuine inhalers, I've lost my sense of smell since being on them

December 28, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Roland,
Many thanks for that. I understood that Ventolin was a rescue puffer. Genuair is a daily ongoing puffer for long-term maintenance.

December 26, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Roland,
Sinuses seem to get stuffed very easily and could be caused by other medication as well. However, very humid in Sydney at the moment so hard to breathe anyway without COPD. I will keep trying with the Genuair. Even my specialist says Ventolin does nothing for me. So far, find it easiest just to accept the situation as the new "normal". Get exhausted easily, but less in the cold weather. Spent Christmas in Siberia a few years back and didn't have a problem there!

December 26, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Inhalers of any kind don’t work for me so I take a pill called theophylline once a day works great but doctors do not like it. The therapeutic window is mall and you have to have monthly bloodwork and no Levaquin or alcohol while you take it

December 23, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glace Bay, NS

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Vida, OR