Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Adelaide, AU

Has anyone been diagnosed with Bullous Emphysema?

May 23, 2019
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have looked it up, and this is the answer as to what it is. Bullous emphysema can occur in one or both lungs and is characterized by the presence of one or several abnormally large air spaces surrounded by relatively normal lung tissue.

If you do a search on Bullous emphysematous, the very first result tells you what it is and then there are all kinds of questions and answers that you can review.
Hope this helps......keep on breathing.

May 24, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I did look it up but does anyone else have this or am I just special? :(
Have just had another scan to see if it has grown which I hope it hasn't. get results next week. I haven't seen anyone else with this issue.
Thank you retired widow xxx

June 14, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Bullous emphysema isn't uncommon, so many people are diagnosed with it. Basically, what happens is that the air trapped in the lungs collects in larger areas called bullae. The problem is that the bullae can cause pneumonothorax. People will large bullae are encouraged not to fly because of the potential effect of the changes in pressure that one experiences on a flight.

In ordinary emphysema, the areas where the air is trapped are smaller and there isn't the danger of those areas collapsing and causing problems.

May 23, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have been diagnosed with bullous emphysema, three years ago it went to a severe level. I do all I can to keep it in check an not progress any further.

March 13, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Maysville, GA