Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Altoona, PA

Hello,
I've been renting my concentrator for over a year now. My insurance only pays 1/2 once my deductible is met. They are charging me $78 a month! Does anyone own their own, and if so, what is the best route to buy one? I know I can get something that I can pay far less than being on this machine and paying them twofold what the machine is worth.
Thank you in advance for your replies.

October 8, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared practical advice on the best ways to purchase an oxygen concentrator instead of renting one at a high monthly cost. Several... Read more

Members shared practical advice on the best ways to purchase an oxygen concentrator instead of renting one at a high monthly cost. Several members suggested looking into reputable companies like Inogen or 1st Class Medical, where concentrators can be purchased for a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, and one member recommended finding a local technician who rebuilds and sells units at lower prices. A recurring theme was the importance of being cautious about where you buy, with many members advising against unverified online sources, and noting the difference between pulse flow and continuous flow units depending on your medical needs.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

It sounds as though you're not on Medicare, but on regular insurance. If that's the case, you can certainly buy your own concentrator and pay significantly less. The problem will be finding someone who will service it, unless you want to buy one each time the unit malfunctions. If you can find someone who will service it for you, then you're really good to go. Most concentrators work just fine, even used ones, but I would buy one that's reconditioned and not something off Craig's list or Ebay. Sometimes the want ads in your local paper might have something, but I'd be very cautious purchasing something that way unless you can get a very clear picture of how the machine was used and how long.

October 8, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

wow that is expensive. I purchased a portable after the regular one was to heavy for me. I fell. It was 2600.00 but I can take it everywhere. My Medical company charged me 15 a month for the stationary one. Once a month. I feel You are paying to much. Might call around to see or Inogen is a good company.

October 9, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I ordered my concentrators through 1st Class Medical. they are really easy to work with and a lot of the time they have sales. I think I paid $600 for my big one that I keep by my bed and later on I bought a portable one to carry with me when I go out.

November 7, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

are you talking a portable unit or one for the home? i don't know where you are but i found a guy that worked for one of the big companys and went out on his own.he rebuilds them then sells them to patients with prescriptions. i found him on craigslist. look for used oxy
gen units and check them out. not just craigslist

October 9, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Bonnie...
Yes that is the risk.....but compare it with the price...which is only USD.230...with ISO approval...I think it is worth to try......and pray that the equipment will last 2-3 yrs....hopefully.....
Thanks Bonnie..have a great Thanks Giving..
Regards

November 28, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Olmsted, OH