Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Las Vegas, NV

Hi everyone! I've gotten my flu shot ever since I was told I had COPD, and have no problem w/ them whatsoever.
My question is: Without sounding paranoid, is it advisable to get the flu shot this year, due to the Coronavirus pandemic? I mean, is it still as safe as it was before the virus?
Any answers or advice would be welcome.

December 20, 2020
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded to a question about whether it's still safe to get the flu shot during the COVID-19 pandemic, with most sharing that they... Read more

Members responded to a question about whether it's still safe to get the flu shot during the COVID-19 pandemic, with most sharing that they got their flu shot as usual and felt it was especially important that year. Several members noted that getting the flu on top of COVID could be dangerous, while others shared that their doctors advised caution based on personal health histories, allergies, or medication sensitivities. A recurring theme was the importance of following your own doctor's guidance, with many members feeling reassured by the community's shared experiences and practical advice.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

There's probably more reason to get the flu shot this year than in other years; you really don't want the flu and then COVID or vice versa. I certainly got mine as soon as it was available. Unless you are allergic to the ingredients of the flu shot or have been advised by your doc not to get it, I would certainly get one and soon.

As for the COVID vaccine, there's no reason not to get it when it is available. There were NO scientific corners cut on this: they did the phase 1 trials; the phase 2 trials and the phase 3 trials all according to established scientific standards for every other vaccine. This was all possible because there were so many people getting sick that the trials didn't have to worry about finding people to participate or wait until enough people in the trial actually tested positive for COVID, so the study part of the trial went very quickly. This part can often take years. (One of the few advantages of a pandemic.) The "fast track" was at the FDA where they put pretty much everything else on hold while their scientists went through every report generated during the trials, and even then, they didn't skip any steps. They just didn't do anything else while they did it.

I talk with pulmonologists almost every day and they all have said to get the vaccine, even if you think there might be some risk for you. If you're really concerned get the shot in a hospital or clinic where emergency help is available immediately. It's a lot easier to treat your reaction to the shot than it is to have to treat you for COVID.

December 20, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I got the flu shot for people over 65 and I also got the double shingles vaccine. I was told by my pharmacist that I should have these. I have had no problems with the vaccines.

December 20, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I get the flu shot every year. If I do get the flu it won't be as severe as if I didn't get the shot.

December 20, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I can't get the shot for Covid-19, and have held off with the flu shot just because we are so bombarded with the pandemic. I just think I'm safer at home by myself. Some docs say yes to flu shot, but my main doc told me no for now.

December 20, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good morning @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I am certainly no doctor nor have I had any medical experience (except my own), but I do know that NO flu shot is going to cover every kind of flu that is out in this world. I got my flu shot this year the same as I always have and had absolutely no problem with it. I am not quite so sure about the Corona Virus vaccine that is available though. Don't think I trust that one.

December 20, 2020

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Edgewater, FL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Danville, IL