Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Plymouth, UK

Ok guys and gals. Zephyr valves and pip. I have high rate pip for mobility and low rate care. Have been offered the zephyr valves as I have upper pulmonary hypertension emphysema. Has anybody had these inserted and lost your pip?

May 20, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You do need to check with the NHS, but I agree with Rolland that placement of the Zephyr valves can show some improvement in FEV1, but does not "fix" you problem. The only thing that actually "fixes" the problem is a transplant, and the valves do not qualify! However, that's my opinion and not the opinion of the NHS, which is the opinion that counts.

May 21, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I know if you have Heart Problems and have a Op Your Pip is stopped as you are seen as being Fit [Repaired] after the op

May 21, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Ah, that explains it ! Thanks, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I appreciate the clarification. Hoping you’re having a good day.

May 20, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Sue. You should contact your NHS benefits office to address those concerns.
https://www.gov.uk/pip/change-of-circumstances
A government benefit for disability generally acknowledges a drastic reduction in a citizen's health and capabilities. It is usually considered a permanent decrease as well. You may need to update them as your condition worsens and if additional support is needed.
I have not seen any indication where these Lung valve placement significantly reverses our condition in any way. Even a modest improvement in Quality of Life should not disqualify you for the income assistance but I may be wrong. All the best.

May 20, 2022 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

In the uk we have a benefit called PIP. I know all about the zephyr valve. My question was if I have the valves fitted would I lose my benefits x

May 20, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ponca City, OK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Buffalo, NY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In