Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Winnipeg, MB
November 19, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Maybe, maybe not. I had a GP who was excellent and who diagnosed me in 2000 on the basis of a spirometry test, which was unheard of then. He prescribed O2 for me and encouraged me to use it for exercise. I don't know whether he could have told me what my stage was then, because for the most part no one thought in those terms. The only thing he wasn't very up to date on was meds, and I was prescribed Advair instead of an inhaled steroid only by a pulmonologist in 2004. Some family practice docs are very up to date on COPD and others have no clue. It really depends on who your doc is and the experience they've had. A good family practice doc will tell you what they know and what they don't know; others will try to bluff their way through it. You'll have to figure out what you have, but the best way is to get their diagnosis and then see a pulmonologist to see what they do. You'll know whether your PCP is worth their salt then.

November 19, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi @A MyCOPDTeam Member - I agree with @A MyCOPDTeam Member - quite some time ago I was told by one doctor my copd was "end stage" and the other, stage 4. I told them both to never tell me those things again! I'll fight this damned copd as long as I can. But if you really want to know, trust the pulmonary specialist - just my opinion.

November 20, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@Hugsfromrosie I don't know about your doctor, but I wouldn't trust my PCP to tell me. However I'd rather not know what stage I'm in, so I'm not much help.

November 20, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

No, I don't think so, unless you've recently had all the pulmonary tests that lead to your lung function, for the doctor to read from. Everyone with a lung disease should have a pulmonologist, to establish care, and then to see if necessary later, or to call.

November 19, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for you thought everyone. part of me wants to know and yet i don't want to know??? I guess I will just wait and see. Not much else to do, Hugs and thanx to you all.❤️

December 9, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Banning, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Mills, WI