Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Saint Cloud, FL

I quit smoking about 3 weeks ago after my 3rd hospitalization and a breathing test that showed my lungs only work at 18%, how come my breathing hasn’t improved or seems like it’s gotten worse since I quit smoking?

April 18, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That's not unusual; nicotine is actually a bronchodilator, so when you stop smoking it will take a while to get it all out of your system and let the work of clean air begin.

April 18, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My the same

April 18, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Geminigirl, I have not smoked in 30 years, but I sill get around fairly well. I do try to exercise several times a week, even if is only playing golf using a golf cart. I have been assigned pulmonary rehab several times by my doctors. There are those that say our lungs continue to deteriorate as we get older, but I try to delay it if I can. What I really want to know is WHY they continue to get worse AS I get older. I hope you can get back to full activity soon. Try to accept it and be happy today.

April 19, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello Gemini. Your healing will take Time. Can't say how long, its mostly up to you. Take your Oxygen reading and temps daily, you will see a pattern.

My first hospital visit for double-pneumonia was a bit more than two weeks. Well, more like 1 week ICU and 10 days PT, OT, and PR. PR is Pulmonary Rehab for the more seasoned folks. Felt like two days though. It was like being locked in a medical library without a borrowing card. Learned a lot about our meds in the process.

The main tip I would share with you is to drink fluids regularly. Especially water, it has Oxygen in it! Then your activity will mostly be getting to the Restroom on time. Stay regular with your meds and build up activity a bit more each day. Even lifting an Arizona tea can or water jug at your bedside will work the chest muscles for breathing strength. I made this up but there are many videos on YouTube with breathing exercises.

You can ignore my picture. From now on, IT is not a Race! In fact everything will be done slower. Think about where you are going and adjust your breathing to get there without panic. Congrats on kicking the smokes to the curb too. Even if your Docs disagrees with these tips, look for for others on your own. You deserve to begin feeling better. Be well.

April 18, 2023 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I quit over 14years ago, i am finding now having breathing issues! Do yoga breathing it helps! There is a lot of exercises on YouTube that help us with this disease

April 18, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fife, WA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Nicholasville, KY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Swindon, UK