My pulse oximeter registers 97 at level 4 but if I turn it down to 2 1/2 it still says 95. Up until I decided to put myself on when I was developing pneumonia, although it would have been a good idea to have had it with me. My pulmonologist didn't let me ask her questions at our video appointment and wasn't the doctor who prescribed the antibiotics and is also the one who doesn't offer any treatment for me, other than 2 inhalers and a nebulizer. She didn't even prescribe these for me she left… read more
Remember the point of 02 is to be sure your 02 saturation levels stay at a level that ensures that your body and all the organs receive 02 sufficient to maintain their level of functioning. Most people have 02 saturation levels between 95 and 98. When docs prescribe 02 at so many liters per minute, they don't take into account the fact that your 02 requirements depend on what you're doing. For instance, I know that when I'm sitting, I don't need supplemental 02 and my sats will be somewhere around 92 or 93. I also know that as soon as I get up to go to the bathroom or kitchen, my sats will head for the toilet unless I wear my 02. Knowing that, my agreement with my pulmonologist is that I'll keep my 02 sats between 92 and 97, using my oximeter to determine how much 02 I need for whatever I'm doing.
It sounds to me like you need to find a pulmonologist who will pay attention to what you tell them, answer your questions when you ask them, explain what they're ordering med-wise and what each med is for, and then talk about all the things that only YOU can do to help yourself. Things like daily exercise, achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, getting enough water and sleep, etc. I'd start interviewing pulmonologists until you find one who will work with you.
Hi Alice
I’m afraid I do not use oxygen so I don’t have much knowledge on this, I would suggest as your not happy you should see about changing your Dr, as you have a right to ask questions at anytime of a Medic.
Do Take care
Eric
Thank you much again Jean. I would like you to know Kaiser isn't offering many of the education and resources I see many other people getting on this site. Kaiser during and post-Covid are very different from the information you have, and being with Kaiser for most of the last 46 years, I know the difference.
I have already started setting up an exercise program that will be more helpful, and looking for a set of daily breathing exercises that will benefit me the most. If I sit up and breathe properly with my oximeter on, it will literally increase my sat level with every 1 or 2 breaths. I have to start slowly in order not to become discouraged because I didn't even realize I could use and raise my oxygen when exercising! Now that I do just this small bit of info will be a lot of help. Maybe you can direct me to a few of the resources you think would be most helpful, and maybe newcomers would benefit from them as well?
Thanks again😀
I als hope you have a nice day Alice
Take care
Eric
Wow thanks for all the info and support. I am learning the hard way not to continue with a doctor who isn't a good fit or that you don't feel confident with. Maybe I will call member services tomorrow and see what else is available. They do have pulmonology rehab and I am looking forward to it but with panic and agoraphobia, I hope to get to a more stable place where I'm sure I'll be able to overcome those enough to get the most out of the program. Thanks again 🤩