Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I am on O2 24/7. I’m considered stage 4. Hoping for some feedback on portable concentrators.

August 13
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded to a question about portable oxygen concentrators with better battery life, sharing hands-on experiences with devices like... Read more

Members responded to a question about portable oxygen concentrators with better battery life, sharing hands-on experiences with devices like the Inogen G5, Rove 6, and OxyGo Next. Several members highlighted that battery life depends heavily on the flow setting used, and that carrying extra extended batteries or adjusting settings while resting versus moving can help stretch usage to 5 or more hours. A recurring theme was weighing the pros and cons of portable concentrators versus traditional oxygen tanks, with some preferring tanks for continuous flow needs and reliability, while others favored concentrators for convenience.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I prefer the oxygen tanks with the carrying case. It weighs just a little less than 8lbs and the portable battery operated ones are not much lighter when you need 2liter flow. I have both over shoulder case and backpack. I never have to worry about battery going dead. I know how long tanks last and carry enough to easily go to car and change them out if necessary. Grocery shopping I just set it in the cart. The portable one they offered me was only 1 lb lighter for my needs. Most of them are pulse dose and it doesn't work for me gives me headache and ruins my whole day. Just my take on it. I an 74 and have no problem carrying the tanks in a bag they provide.

August 16
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I cant recall my model, what we have done is get a second battery to take with us if we may be away from home for an unknown length of time. Definitely takes some pressure off

August 16
MyCOPDTeam

Great question! Finding a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) with longer battery life is really important, especially when on oxygen 24/7 at stage 4.

The Inogen G5 is a popular upgrade from the G4 and is worth asking about. A MyCOPDTeam member shared that they take their Inogen G5 everywhere they go and highly recommend Show Full Answer

Great question! Finding a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) with longer battery life is really important, especially when on oxygen 24/7 at stage 4.

The Inogen G5 is a popular upgrade from the G4 and is worth asking about. A MyCOPDTeam member shared that they take their Inogen G5 everywhere they go and highly recommend speaking with a pulmonologist about it.

Here are some general tips when looking for a replacement POC:

- Talk to your pulmonologist first — they can recommend the best model based on your specific oxygen flow needs
- Check battery life options — many POCs offer extended battery packs for longer use
- Consider weight vs. capacity — higher oxygen output models tend to be heavier
- Contact your insurance provider — to find out what's covered before making any decisions Since COPD is a progressive condition, your oxygen needs may also change over time, so it's worth having a thorough conversation with your doctor to make sure any new equipment keeps up with those needs. They can also review your current flow rate settings to match the right device to your requirements.

August 13
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, Medicare is supposed to cover a portable machine rental, BUT… Medicare only covers a single piece of equipment at a time, and you’re stuck with whatever your oxygen equipment provider has on hand for rental.

Medicare can be a blessing and a hassle, and everything depends on whether you have a choice of equipment providers in your area, or are stuck with limited choices.

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, the portable units by Inogen are all pulse doses.

I have the Inogen HOME which is continuous flow, but it’s a stationary unit, not portable.

Hoping these answers help.
Thursday, mid-day, 20-AUG-26

August 20 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have the OXYGO Next and the Rove 6 both made by Inogen and with the extended battery by turning the setting down while I'm setting and back up when I move around I can get 5 and sometimes 6 hours out of the battery. In all the years I've had those machines I've only had to change batteries because they've run out of juice about 4 or 5 times. I always carry extra batteries with me.

August 16

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Navarre, FL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
St Joseph, MO