A peak flow meter is a portable handheld device used to measure how well a person with asthma can blow air out of the lungs. (Asthma narrows the airways, making breathing difficult.) The person blows into the meter and then checks the reading.
Some people with asthma use a peak flow meter at home to see how well their asthma is being controlled. The meter can tell if the airways are getting narrow even before symptoms start.
Peak flow measurements can help people with asthma work with their doctor to identify approaching asthma flare-ups, develop an asthma treatment plan, and know when to get medical care.
I bought one on Amazon- I think I gave about 50 bucks but that could be off. It connects via Bluetooth and measures total volume. I've used it at the doctor's office and it's pretty close to the professional machine but lacking the total information of the computer graphics depiction.
I like mine. I've got Bluetooth blood pressure monitor, %O2, and tidal volume.
Wish I could measure respiration and temperature.
Ever onward and upward!
I have emphysema and bronchitis and have a peak flow meter as well as an Arobika (lung exerciser). I'm sorry to say that I don't use them as I should. I find the pursed lip exercise works best for me. I hope you're doing well. Have a wonderful, breathe easy day.
My Doc(s) never recommended that unit for me. During a couple of hospitalization events, I did ask for and receive the Aerobika unit for reducing phlegm and chest congestions. My insurance company said they were Free. 😉
It looks like the Flow meter is used more for those with Asthma. All I know is that Breathing is more restricted then, unlike being obstructed with the likes of Emphysema and Bronchitis. It also seems that when our Respiratory issues first set in, many are mis-diagnosed until things settle into a regular breathing pattern again. Be well.
Hi Roslyn2 yes I do every 2-3 days still in terrified state.