Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Norfolk, England

What are the various stages of COPD

December 9, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Basically, there are four:mild, moderate severe and very severe, usually based on FEV1 results from a PFT. Where you fall depends on which set of definitions you choose, though the differences aren't very telling. The stages often guide internists and general practitioners who treat and diagnose the vast majority of COPD patients (sometimes very well and sometimes very badly) in terms of what medications are appropriate for each stage of the disease. I agree with Crisp that the stage doesn't really matter. What matters is what you can do and how comfortable you are doing it. He's also absolutely right that exercise can make a huge difference and a good exercise program can keep you going for a very long time.

December 9, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Welcome Mike7. The answer is 1-2-3-4, but if you click on the word "resources" at the top of most pages, there is a multitude of articles about COPD, and I KNOW there is one about the different stages. For myself I don't want to know what stage I'm in, it isn't going to make any difference to me since I know the eventual outcome anyway. But you can slow those stages down buy getting lots of exercise. People have lived for many years with Stage 4, so you probably have a good many years left in you. Hope you find the answers you are looking for and Merry Christmas if I don't talk to you again before that.
December 9, 2023

December 9, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It's not a problem @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I just had to tease you a little because that's the kind of mood I was in.😁

December 10, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Sorry about that....I should have looked closely at your picture!πŸ˜—

December 9, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Just an FYI @A MyCOPDTeam Member, Chrisp (me) is a she, not a he. Sorry for being so picky.πŸ˜€

December 9, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Bloomington, IN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Deltona, FL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Calgary, AB