Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
October 24, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My daughter helps me. I bought a shower chair that has a seat that you sit on outside the tub and it slides you inside the tub & back out again when you are thru. I have scoliosis & have shrunk so much that I cant reach the shower head. You know something? This getting old aint for weines!!! I'm 78.

November 5, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A common problem with COPDers is dreading to take a shower because it wears them out. You use about the same amount of energy showering as you do walking briskly. That dread of knowing it will tire you out causes anxiety which only adds to the problem.

October 24, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Right there with you! Dread doing it! My Hubby suggested to wash my hair in the sink & not the shower---so much better, one less thing to fool with in the shower. Also have a built-in seat I use. And, I just take my time.

November 5, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Jeeeze! I thought I was the only one!
I just couldn't figure out why I so dreaded taking a shower but it's a mirror of everything I do now- Pre-planning: putting on clothing, going to the toilet, moving to a sitting room- knowing the next time that task is done will require more effort.
Someone should come up with a "People groomer" to pick people up and transport them to a [friendlier] bath.
I'm ashamed to disclose my schedule but wipes help in-between.

October 30, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have to:
1. time my shower with medication usage (albuterol)
2. use my oxygen hose (I call it my snorkel)
3. open window and bathroom door. use exhaust fan
4. keep the shower door slightly open for air crossflow
5. remove canula when rinsing head and face.
6. take my time don't rush it. focus on breathing and less on washing.
7. sometimes all I can do is just rinse of, and that is okay
Have a grateful day!!

October 25, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
South Beloit, IL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Georgetown, IN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Montreal, QC