Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
April 24, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It is a hand held device that measures how much air you can blow out of your lungs. You can track your copd for any decreases which can warn you of oncoming exacerbations, or just a bad breathing day. You inhale as much air as possible then blow hard and fast into the meter. Do that 2-3 times then use the best reading. It will show symptoms of worsening copd and asthma by the volume of air you can exhale. I use mine twice a day to track my breathing and also to see how much my inhalers are helping me. You can find your best target by tracking for a couple weeks and use that as your goal. My allergist years ago had me use one for my asthma, but is used the same for tracking copd breathing. I hope this gives you an idea of what they are and how to use them. You can probably get a better explanation on Google than the one I've given you. Also, some pulmonologist use them in the office. Mine hasn't, but asked me how I'm doing with mine.

April 24, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I have an old Respironics one that I've had for years. They have changed since then. Amazon has some, but not familiar with the New Products. They all seem to measure the Same way though...

April 24, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, thanks Jeffrey, I'll check it out on Amazon.

April 24, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I think there’s companies online you can buy one for. Years ago my doctor gave me one. They just had a bunch of them in the closet. Now my bronchiectasis is so bad that I fail all the test so they don’t even bother with it.💖🙏🏻🙌

April 24, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Not sure how many brands of peak flowmeters there are. Check with your Dr:s office.

April 24, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Scotland, AR

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Plymouth, MA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Louisville, KY