Hi, I have also been through that, went from 160-125 was told no low fat or low calorie. Add milk powder to my 3% homogenized, add heavy cream to soups like tomato etc and add butter and sour cream to mashed potato and add heavy cream to mushroom soup. Use regular hamburger not the lean kind. Eat lots of protein meats etc. peanut butter can really pack on weight fast and tasty. Ice cream with homemade caramel and chocolate sauce are my personal favorites. Desert like chocolate cake with pudding between layers etc make buttercream frostings mmmm. Just a couple easy tasty ways to add weight.
I was made aware of the foods to eat and limit/avoid in Pulmonary Rehab. Learned what foods cause inflammation which is not good for us. If you google "Foods to limit/avoid'' with COPD there are guidelines there. I've learned some people follow them, and some continue to enjoy whatever they like.
Hi, @A MyCOPDTeam Member - while I worry about losing weight, and do so if I’m not careful to eat enough fats and carbs to offset my activities to avoid additional weight loss, I’ve found that each of us have particular foods that guarantee weight gain / stable weight to help offset the daily weight loss.
In my case, it’s ice cream or mac & cheese. Those are the only two foods I’ve found that have the least repercussions for inflammation side effects in me, and are the fastest to put a couple of pounds back on.
Because each of us may have different genetic factors / cultural factors for favorite foods, my success with ice cream and mac & cheese may not be the same for your body’s activities triggers. I actually brought up this issue during my recent stint in pulmonary rehab, and they agreed that each of us need to juggle the guidelines so that we could find what our “go to” foods would be for both weight loss and weight gain.
FYI, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, the COPD Athlete, has done a full study with his doctors in Australia, and has data that proves some to much of the food guidelines for COPD patients actually cause more issues than it solves.
Since he’s out running 26 mile marathons around the world with less than 30% lung function, I tend to follow his guidelines over the traditional viewpoint on diet and exercise first, before the experts, as he’s actually in the trenches and living with the results of what works best for his body to function its best.
REF: https://nddmed.com/blog/2023/copd-athlete-russe...
If you want to learn more about his journey (since he has his own website, he’s rarely on here anymore), check out the various places you can find him if you want to learn more):
https://www.facebook.com/copdathlete
https://m.facebook.com/russell.winwood
I’ll stop fangirling now, but I hope you find a diet that helps you feel your best.
Monday morning, 19-MAY-25
I LOVE your diet @A MyCOPDTeam Member! Wish I was the one trying to GAIN weight!
Thank you Joanne for your response interesting & helpful information!