Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

They told me a couple months ago i needed oxygen at night . When i went and seen my lung doctor he said wait six months and we will check again i take it that it wasn't that bad. So i am not sure what too do i have too different opinions one is a sleep doctor the other is a lung doctor . I had the sleep Apena test wich i didn't need then i had the oxygen sleep finger test and he said i needed it from the sleep doctor confused any help.

May 17, 2025
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around a question about getting nighttime oxygen, with many explaining that a pulmonologist writes the prescription and a home... Read more

Members rallied around a question about getting nighttime oxygen, with many explaining that a pulmonologist writes the prescription and a home medical supply company delivers and sets up the equipment right at your door. Several members shared that a walk test and overnight finger oxygen test are common steps to confirm the need, and that using oxygen at night can actually improve how you feel during the day. A recurring theme was reassurance that adjusting to sleeping with an oxygen tube is manageable, and that staying in close contact with your doctor is the best way to move things forward.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member When we sleep, our Breathing slows down. when our Respirations decrease so does the % of oxygen to our body. It's a pain in the butt wearing the hose, but our body requires keeping that o2 level in a safe zone. I've seen my o2 numbers when Not on o2 while sleeping, not very good. You need to get this done if this is the case. You take a little test to see if your o2 level drops below 88% while doing a walking test. if so then you need o2 at night. I have to use it while I shower, sleep, morning walks, cleaning house. Vacuuming lol

May 17, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My knowledge is, Oxygen requires a prescription from your doctor to order
Oxygen. My arrangement is, my pulmonologist submits a prescription to the
provider each year. Before she sends in the prescription, I have to do a
walk test to confirm the oxygen is a necessity for me to manage my COPD. I
believe this is a Government Medicare Requirement. I hope this information
is of help. Regards

May 17, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It will be okay, @A MyCOPDTeam Member – trust me on this, man. When it comes to the men and women in scrubs pokin’ and proddin’ and pontificating over personal health problems, I’m like a feral cat in a Saturday night bath! So, if *I* can sleep like a baby with an oxygen tube dangling from my ears, *anybody* can! It’s not really all that bad. Hope everything works out with you as it has with me . . .

Phil, May 18, 2025

May 18, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The doctor that prescribed it will have a in home concentrator delivered to your house. They will instruct you on how to use and clean the filters. Make sure you ask all your questions about how to set the levels and how often to change hoses.
You can only get oxygen with a prescription.

May 17, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have been using oxygen at night for several years. My pulmonologist said using it at night helps you during the day. I have a small portable concentrator that I can use but typically don’t. I have Stage 4 COPD and am on 2 liters. I stay as active as I can and use my oxygen at home more if needed. My SOB comes from physical activity so I am limited but I am enjoying life. Your pulmonologist should do a walk test, pulmonary function test, blood work and X-rays to help diagnose your particular stage and what exact treatment is needed.

May 19, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Corfu, NY