Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bradford, ON

last march I went to the hospital as I was coughing up quite bit of blood.. I was put on predisone and antibiotics and they could not find anything wrong... I am a lung cancer survivor now for 9 years which left me with copd from radiation and was told its the new me of life.. its been a struggle but doing what I can.. I have to work part time teaching to pay the bills which is fine as I am widowed and enjoy the interaction. I am just not happy with the heavy phlegm but what can I do.. I use… read more

July 11, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@kiratura
It’s very common with those of us that have Bronchiectasis.

July 11, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Stan, I’m sorry to hear that your lung cancer survivor. And they said that coughing up blood ,will be part of living with that. I have bronchiectasis., a different lung disease. I’ve had problems with coughing up blood. I’ve been doing good the last two years. It’s when I get an infection, or when something causes inflammation in my lungs. Once I had aspergillosis in my lungs that caused it .Inflammation can be from bad allergy years, or dirty air, etc. I stopped taking fish oil and CoQ10 supplements, because that caused me to bleed. Are you having fires up your way ? That can be a contributor . Is the blood dark or bright red ? if it’s dark blood, that means it’s older dried up blood ,and not a worry. But if you cough up more than 2 tablespoons of blood, you should talk to your pulmonologist. Make sure you have periodic appointments with your pulmonologist to have a listen to your lungs, CT scans when needed. I hope this helps.

July 11, 2025 (edited)
MyCOPDTeam

Coughing up blood (hemoptysis) can be a concerning symptom with COPD. While some MyCOPDTeam members do experience this, it's important to always report episodes of coughing up blood to your healthcare provider, even if you've been checked before. They may want to monitor the frequency and amount to ensure proper treatment.

Show Full Answer

Coughing up blood (hemoptysis) can be a concerning symptom with COPD. While some MyCOPDTeam members do experience this, it's important to always report episodes of coughing up blood to your healthcare provider, even if you've been checked before. They may want to monitor the frequency and amount to ensure proper treatment.

For managing heavy phlegm, try these tips:
- Stay well hydrated
- Use a humidifier
- Try warm beverages like tea
- Continue using prescribed inhalers as directed
- Practice breathing exercises Having rescue medications on hand, including antibiotics and steroids (like the prednisone you mentioned), can be helpful for managing COPD symptoms when they worsen. Some MyCOPDTeam members keep these medications available at home under their doctor's guidance. Continue working closely with your healthcare team to monitor your symptoms and adjust your treatment plan as needed.

July 11, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi All ,
Any body coughing up blood is sign of lung tissue damage.Coughing causes lots pressure in the lungs and other parts of the body,eventually can cause tissue damage in the lung and elsewhere.Always have it checked out by your physician.This is not normal,
This is why it is very important to nose breathe,the hairs in the nose stops tiny particles going down the lungs and this causes coughing and coughing causes damage and up comes the blood.
So sorry to hear this.Hope your get better soon all my prayers with you.
Prayers is gods power. God is love and love is god
Kish Tura

July 11, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Worcester, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ormond Beach, FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In