Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ormond Beach, FL
March 28
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members urged someone who coughed up blood-tinged phlegm to seek immediate medical evaluation, with several sharing that it could indicate... Read more

Members urged someone who coughed up blood-tinged phlegm to seek immediate medical evaluation, with several sharing that it could indicate anything from a torn capillary due to hard coughing to serious conditions like pulmonary embolism or infection. Many members described their own experiences with blood in their sputum, explaining that bright red blood is fresh while brown or black indicates older blood, that small streaks are often less concerning than larger amounts, and that seasonal allergies or bronchiectasis can trigger minor bleeding when airways are inflamed. A recurring theme was the importance of notifying a doctor for documentation and guidance, hugging a pillow during coughing fits to reduce strain, and seeking emergency care if blood is dark, plentiful, or accompanied by severe symptoms like chest pain or breathlessness.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Glad you have a good doctor working with you, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Any sign of blood is alarming to me, and it's good to have someone who understands your entire health picture.

March 28
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree w u Mike. Thanks for information. It wasn’t a lot I’ll have to try the pillow hug when I have coughing fits.

March 29
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I hear you, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. The pollen has been crazy this year, aggravating my allergies, too (plus I’m now living beneath a canopy of Redwood trees), so please take care of you.

Hugs, early Sunday morning, 29-MAR-26

March 28
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I assume you already contacted your doctor as it does scare us to see blood in our phlegm. I know I did when it first happened. I even took picture of it and showed the doctor.
There are several reasons why we could have blood in our sputum. So it is important to bring up with your doctor. Now if it is black or there is a lot of red blood, then go to the ER right away.

I have had red streaks of blood and asked my doctor. He said; "as long as it is just steaks here and there it is nothing to worry about. But if it is more than a teaspoon full of blood in a day to get in to see him." He said it was because I probably was coughing too much and/or too hard that I may have torn a capillary in my lung. At the time had a bad cough and was having bad coughing episodes. Now I control my coughing better and hug a pillow when I start cough real hard.

*Always bring this up to your doctor. So he is aware of it for notes on your condition.

March 29
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good article @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I have Bronciectasis, and I bleed sometimes. I have small clots of blood come up ,if my lungs are inflamed as the article mentioned. I have bad allergies and every spring,I have this. I’m having it now off and on. I’m lucky this spring, as it’s just little streaks. If I have the blood“clots” come up, it causes pain in my chest. If I get an infection of some kind, I will have more clots come up and worse pain in my chest. In that case, I have to see my doctor, or go to the ER if I’m out of breath and can’t walk far. Or have a fever etc. @A MyCOPDTeam Member

March 28 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Grand Rapids, MN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ormond Beach, FL