Yep, I can remember when it was considered vital that we know our current Stage and what all the numbers stand for. But I was once told that the doctors had to report all that information to the Insurance companies. I'm not at all good with numbers, particularly related to medical jargon, so I'll leave that alone and do all the sensible things that I can.
What does an FEV1/FVC ratio of 56% mean for COPD staging?
The FEV1/FVC ratio helps confirm COPD, but staging is primarily based on FEV1 percentage alone, not the ratio. An FEV1/FVC ratio below 70% confirms airflow obstruction, which your 56% shows.
To determine if you're in stage 2 (moderate) or stage 3 (severe), what Show Full Answer
You're looking at the wrong number. It is the FEV1 % that determines your stage.
AI pretty well explained it out for you. Glad you asked to check. But the odds are the doctor knows what he is talking about. You can have him explain what he is looking at and for on the test results. We get carried away with the stages but those numbers are not like stages of cancer. We can live a long time in each stage.