Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have failed miserably at figuring out how to start a separate group for us. In the mean time let's start a conversation. I have a love/hate relationship with my portable 02 concentrator, and the thing I hate most is having to use a public restroom! Do I really have to put it on the floor sometimes? If I keep it on my shoulder will it come sliding off at some point? I'm small at 5' and 105 pounds and the weight with a water bottle is enough to through me off balance.

November 4, 2025
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members on 24/7 supplemental oxygen connected over the shared challenge of managing portable oxygen concentrators in public restrooms,... Read more

Members on 24/7 supplemental oxygen connected over the shared challenge of managing portable oxygen concentrators in public restrooms, exchanging practical solutions like using door hooks, hanging devices from GearAid, placing units on toilet paper dispensers or cisterns (with disinfectant wipes), or using rolling carts with hooks for shopping trips. Several members described the physical toll of carrying equipment while dealing with balance issues, wheelchair dependency, and drop foot, as well as the emotional struggle of adjusting to oxygen use, with many experiencing anxiety, agoraphobia, and shame (especially related to smoking history) that initially kept them homebound. A recurring theme was the power of acceptance and reframing, with community members encouraging each other to let go of shame, embrace the tools that preserve independence, stay connected to loved ones, and find creative ways to keep moving and living fully despite the challenges.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member @A MyCOPDTeam Member thank you so much for sharing your experiences and your positive attitude about using oxygen 24/7 and how you use portable oxygen, either tanks or a portable like Inogen. Most people don't realize that if they have Medicare or MediCal they can get a portable for free or a small copayment. They are great even though if your setting goes up your battery life will go down. I get around that a bit because even though I use setting 4 with a double battery that would last 4 hours. I can turn it down to setting 2 if I'm just sitting visiting, where I will get twice as long off the same battery. I try to remember to use the charger any time I am driving which keeps the battery charged and lasting longer. I keep an extra wall charger and an extra cannula in my car and I have 2 single extra batteries although I hardly ever use, them because at setting 4 they don't provide very much time.
Just keep moving as much as you can!

November 13, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, please find a way to work on not blaming yourself for needing supplemental oxygen. A car accident could have happened to put yourself in the same situation.

As @A MyCOPDTeam Member and @A MyCOPDTeam Member have said, getting out of our own way and embracing the tools that help you live are game changers.

I had to go to therapy as part of accepting being put out of work on disability, and a grief counselor for chronic illnesses may be able to help you find your feet again.

Don’t let anyone prematurely bury you (just like people shy away from folks with cancer) just because you use aids to remain independent and happy.

Hugs, as I know this is a very difficult life change.

Thursday morning, 13-NOV-25

November 13, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I got put on oxygen 24/7 in 2017. I got my Inogen in 2018 and love it. It doesn’t weigh that much and battery life is long. I am tied to the hose for the rest of my life and I refuse to let it get me down.

November 11, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Try not to beat yourself up, @A MyCOPDTeam Member (I know it’s hard).

You could have ended up in the same circumstances from all the fires and related pollution we have out here, as well as a side effect from covid. It’s nobody’s business to judge how you got in your current state, so don’t let that fear take up rent-free space in your brain.

You’re doing the best you can working with the hand you’ve been dealt. Shame has no place in your game because it serves no purpose, and changes nothing.

Hugs, as I know it’s hard.

Tuesday night, 23-DEC-25

December 23, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member please try to let go of thr fear and let your friends know and invite them to visit you! I felt the same as you do and won't lose any more to the COPD it's hard enough already. Go out someplace every day. I was already struggling with anxiety and agoraphobia before having to use the 02 24/7 and I hope you'ii find a way to make peace with it.

November 12, 2025 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
St. Paul, MN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In