Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Kenosha, WI
November 8, 2025
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members shared their personal experiences with drinking alcohol while managing COPD, with most agreeing that moderation is key and... Read more

Members shared their personal experiences with drinking alcohol while managing COPD, with most agreeing that moderation is key and acknowledging that while alcohol can suppress breathing and dull awareness of symptoms, an occasional drink or two hasn't caused noticeable harm for many. Several members described their own careful approach, including taking breaks between drinking days, sticking to small amounts like a couple ounces of wine, and being mindful that alcohol combined with medications requires extra caution. A recurring theme was the importance of knowing your own body, discussing any concerns with your doctor, and balancing enjoyment of life with the reality that nothing improves COPD, even if some choices don't make it significantly worse.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Okay, so I am going to give you a serious answer now. The only alcohol I ever have is a couple oz of wine 2 or 3 times a week, so you could almost call me a non-drinker. It has never affected my breathing except maybe to make it better! I would follow the same rules whether or not I had COPD. I have taken medicine that has thrown me for a loop, which I consider potentially dangerous, but never a half glass of wine. I've heard doctors say, don't mix meds and alcohol, but I don't know anybody who doesn't take meds of some kind. I think this has been an intriguing topic, and a good one to discuss with the doc if you're not sure.

November 14, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

To get back on subject. [Especially for the Newcomers.]

Joe as with everything, especially alcohol drink in moderation. Does it affect COPD?Well, yes it surpassed your breathing. As well as your mind will not notice an issue as quickly. A couple drinks now and then dose not hurt, but does not help either.

November 10, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I found that anything I drink with an alcohol content worsens my breathing.

November 14, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Spot on, John. It happened with another dog today, and I called out to the owner, He won't bite, will he? and I reverted to doggy talk and held out my hand just slightly. Worked like a charm. Yes, I knew never to run. I like the dog treat idea too. Another thing to go into the fanny pack!! Thanks for the lesson. COPDers might not be able to run anyway. That's a lose-lose.

November 16, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi @Jael and glad I finally went to visit my brother and his wife and see the beautiful house. He has always been very handy with building things as well as electrical and saved himself a lot of $ and now he has no mortgage since he sold his larger home where he raised his 4 kids and only 1 lived at home and the RE taxes there were @ 15 grand compared to under 3 grand in this new town with no police department and many dirt roads. To each their own, they say. Staley did not go with me since it is @ 3 hours of driving roundtrip and he has 2 dogs and was not sure if they would get along. Better safe than sorry! I hope you have a good walk and Staley HEπŸ•β€πŸ¦Ί is anxiously awaiting his outing. Take care and good job! One foot in front of the other...more or less!!🀣 John & πŸ•β€πŸ¦Ί

November 16, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Kernersville, NC