Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

Not trying to be dramatic, but sometimes mine gets so thick I can’t tell if I should push harder or try to swallow it. Wondering what others have gone through.

November 12, 2025
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members opened up about their worst mucus episodes with COPD, describing terrifying moments when mucus becomes so thick it causes choking and... Read more

Members opened up about their worst mucus episodes with COPD, describing terrifying moments when mucus becomes so thick it causes choking and blocks breathing, with many finding relief through simple remedies like gargling with hot salt water, drinking six to eight glasses of water daily, or using lemon or pineapple juice to thin the mucus. The conversation naturally expanded into a deeply supportive discussion about managing GERD alongside COPD, with several members sharing their medication regimens including Omeprazole, Pepcid, and Famotidine, dietary restrictions, and practical strategies like eating smaller meals, avoiding food after 6 pm, and sleeping on wedge pillows. A recurring theme was the complex juggling act of managing multiple chronic conditions simultaneously, met with genuine care as members checked in on each other's doctor appointments, offered prayers for a swollen lymph node diagnosis, and exchanged warm encouragement through their shared struggles with both breathing difficulties and digestive issues.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

It could be the Omeprazole, Kathie, who knows. I was bumped up to 40 mg for awhile, then told the doctor I would like to go back down to 20. One thing about the doctors I've had, is they always like to see me cut down on meds if I can.
Yes, you do seem to have a harder time than I do.
I am convinced that lifestyle, diet and emotional well-being affect me, so thank goodness, my new doctor and I seem to be a good match. We'll see. I don't remember if we're the same age, I am 82.

January 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have heard people say that pineapple juice helps. I don't know, but I like it so much, I just turn up a glass of it and slug it down nearly all at once. But I agree that water is the best.

January 9
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You need to drink lots of water.it will thin the mucus so coughing it up will be easier I drink 6-8 glasses of water a day it really helps thin the mucus making easer to cough up
I have also found that biting into a lemon helps as well the acid will thin the mucus hope this helps

January 8
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member
Hello . I'm sending you good thoughts , good vibes and prayers too for your ultrasound today !
I realized I can take more famotodine when I looked it up . I found out that the dosage for people with gerd can be 40 mg twice a day . I'm only at 20 mg twice a day so I doubled it ! Let me know what your ultrasound results are when you get them back
Good Luck too ! 🍀🍀🍀🍀

January 16 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'm going in for an ultrasound this morning for the swollen lymph gland. Praying that it will be ok. I'll keep you posted. Sometimes I take an extra famtodine when I think i need it and it does a good job. Doc said that that is ok to do. Have to jump in the shower, talk later. @A MyCOPDTeam Member Hugs to you Susan.....

January 16

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Citrus Heights, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Michigan Dearborn